Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Truthseeker
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think are the most important "concepts" (as opposed to techniques) we need to learn, discover and work on during out training? I'm thinking of general , abstract ideas that have applicability in real hand-on fights.

These are important cos they help us analyze and think about what we are doing. Of course our techniques still need to do the job, but also our techniques should have aims and objectives which these concepts provide.

I'm thinking of concepts relevant for a full-contact match, vale match rather than on the street.

I'll give a few i know of with definitions.

1. Seperation-closure: In other words knowing how to control the space between yourself and your opponent; Seperating to make a shot, sweep, manovere guard pass etc..closing to avoid being hit etc..On the ground or standing.

2. Transitions. Smooth changing between sub attempts from one to another, positioning etc..

3. Controls - stopping your opponent from hitting moving, making him uncomfortable etc..

4. Learning how to enter correctly.

I'm sure there are more! Somebody give me a few more.

Cheers.

Jade_Lotus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no comments from me, i don't care about anything competition. But good luck in your search anyhow. I hope you find what your looking for to become more successfull. Again, good luck.

"Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise."

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a match I don't know, although I imagine most of the stuff on the street would be applicable.

Acting: either intimidating your opponent into believing you are better than you actually are, and so putting them on the defensive, or the opposite, so that they'll have openings in their defense through underestimating you

Angling: learning to move around your opponent, shift your bodyweight in unexpected ways, essentially not being where they either expect or want you to be

Timing: learning when to throw techniques, block techniques, get out of the way, or simply stand there

Reading: learning to watch your opponent to see techniques before they're thrown, not talking about muscle twitches here (usually they'll be hidden by clothes anyway) but shifts of bodyweight and other 'tells'

Flow: learning to not throw individual, seperate techniques but rather whole strings, reacting automatically to a block or attack (best one I've seen of this was the other night, swing kick which was blocked with double fore-arm, pulled back into chamber and thrown again as a side-kick)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

K4j4 S1n1s
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Truthseeker

Striking whilst moving forwards and backwards. And downwards (sprawling)

Getting in at the right moment when my opponent is vulnerable like when he is recovering from a strike or shoot.

Controlling the tie up and clinch.

Hitting from the clinch. Both attached and unattached hitting.

Staying in control before, during and after the takedown.

Keeping a dominant position on the ground. Relaxing and taking my time. Letting the opponent show me how to beat him or her.

Keeping a good base and not leaving myself open to being reversed when I am hitting on the ground.

Mobile hips and good use of my legs if I get pinned.

Using good set ups and learning to use submissions in combination so that the counter to one leads me to another.

These are things I am working on.

K4J4

Truthseeker
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckdstudent

Yea, there is overlap with these concepts between the street and a comp but i wanted to keep it within a rule-bound situation just so that the parameters were closed.

Yea, your ideas i'd categorise as aniticipatory/psychological and strategic as oppossed to ideas that are more easily physicalised. Cheers.

K4j4 S1n1s

You covered some of the situations which the concepts i had in mind relate to.
The last one especially is crucial to improve later on.

Its helped me to clarify my aim to think about concepts that apply in the physical interaction (hands on) between two equally skilled guys in match.

Anticipation is obviously not seperate cos you need that for your setups and transitions.

Where do you guys train?

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a karate prespective: mid and far range.

Timing: the difference between getting in a knock down technique and just a hit.

Vary your strategy: don't react the same way every time.

Combinations: no one hit techinque. jab, reverse, roundhouse, reverse, hook, ridgehand. He can't block them all.

Angles: never step straight in or you'll run into his attacks. Always step-in at a 45 degree angle.

Footwork: Always keep your hands and feet moving. Never move backward. Always side-step. Never step-in "squared".

Practice, sparr, practice, sparr, practice, sparr, practice, spa................

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never stop the pressure. Keep attacking.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

K4j4 S1n1s
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Truthseeker Reply with quote

Hello Truthseeker

I am originally from Bergen in Norway, that explains my name Kaja, but now live and train in England. I am sorry, my parents will not let me go into more detail than that.

I saw the same question posted by you on the SFUK forum.

Kaja

ICE
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that the most inportant thing in real fights or full contact matches it to keep your cool and stay focused so many people panice and dont think about what they are doing.
since most has alredy been said i think ill say something about when your losing ( not that i lose of course ) if your are losing it helps to psyc your oppenet out by saying things like that all you go and laughing when they get a good one through trying to give them the impression that your only toying with them then if you can studying them and find a weakness .
everyone has one.
of corse this is good in theory trying to do it in the middle of a match is alot harder than i make it sound.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenacity.

Whether you are technically outclassed, winded, offbalance, in a bad positon or just taking an old fashioned whipping, the quality of not stopping no matter what.

All time favorite example is Jack Dempsey climbing back into the ring after Luis Firpo knocked him through the ropes. Dempsey KO'd Firpo in the very next round. Marciano, Frazier, Holyfield are all great examples of this.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: