Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Raiden
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love tournaments and once i'm a blue belt in BJJ, I plan on competing. As some of the others have stated before, it helps you realize where you are at skill wise, etc. The thing is,(TKDLadyInSC touched on this when she brought up the blackbelt match) the students in class, you see them spar, you know their weaknesses, their strengths. You watch the other students and learn. If you see them lose a few times, you can see indicators that maybe they are subsectable in a given area. When matched against someone you have never seen, you don't have those advantages, thus you can't rely on "research" to help you win. Just like you can't rely on that tactic in a street fight when someone attacks you. It is very different sparring someone at a tournament whom you've never even met compared to someone you practice with everyday.

Tigerclaw
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Por2003,i know i don,t have to do it..please don,t get mad if i speak my opinion about something.Its like monkeygirl said..its a debate and lets keep it friendly..ok?One of the reasons why i don,t care much for it is because i would rather spend more time training for self defense then be using a watered down technique to goto some tournament to fight for points.

tsdstud
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question and I can see you and your instructors points. I do disagree though. At my school we are only allowed to go to certain approved tournaments where it is known that the judging is most likely to be fair and the respect level is the highest. Most of our tournaments are closed. I think that those types of tournaments do a lot of teaching and more than how to kick and punch. The same way you can learn sportsmanship and teamwork in AYSO and t-ball you learn while honing your martial arts skills. It also helps nerves as far as getting up in front of people to perform. That is possibly what I have learned the most from tournaments, how to have no problem getting in front of a crowd. Our #1 tournament rule, Have fun and learn something.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with TigerClaw and that is what I was taught from my first Sensei-personal glorification was never part of the curriculum. When I switched styles my new school respected my "tradition" and never gave me pressure to enter tournaments. I fight when required to do so for promotion or to defend myself and others and it is not a game to me, however, I do not disrespect those that do and will encourage and support them.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

theswarm
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Go-Kan-Ryu Karate, filhos di bahia Capoeira, Okinawan GoJu Ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like tournaments - they teach you how to deal with neves, sparring with strangers, point tournaments tell you how to pick people off, continuous tournaments just teach you to have to be all around good.
I feel like i've learnt alot of stuff i wouldn't have otherwise.

ANGELO.B
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i right now dont take ma...but soon when i start i would like to compete in tourneys...its good practice and you get to fight other styles of ma not just the one that you do at your dojo!

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really consider sparring fighting. It does mymic a fight but the intent is never to really hurt your opponent, but to show that your skills are good enough to be used.

Now Tournaments allow you to compare these skills with your piers and have some fun while doing it. It also gives you a target to train against helping you with being more motivated.

kajukenbo dad
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we went to a Tournament and it was lots of fun......some people like fords and others Chevy.....Good Luck

The Saint
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do ITF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it can be good to improve your skills. Fighting different people keeps your skills better. I Compete in tournaments to help improve myself. Wins/loses don't really matter, I love to train hard it makes my kicks faster and mind sharper for competition. Fighting the same person over and over for years gets repeatative and you find out all the little tricks they like to use. Fighting in tournaments is a good way to become a well rounded fighter. Point fighting isllistrates speed and accuracy, where Continuos fighting is the same without stopping. I think that competing against other people is a good thing to sharpen your skills and be a better fighter.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our opinion on tournaments. Tournaments aren't mandatory, or even encouraged..but not discouraged either. I teach my students that they should be considered as "play tuime"..nothing more. Also, that tournaments are not a good indication of how you would do in a real fight, so if they win a trophy, don't start thinking you're tough and can kick butt. It just means you were lucky and can play "tag" better than anybody you fought that day.

Less than 1/4 of my students attend an occasional open tournament now and then, and the ones that they do, they do quite well at, which uis surprising for me, as we don't train for them at all.

I see no problem is tournament participation in regard to "using your skiklls except for selfdefense", as sparring is just another form of training, and tournaments give you the chance to spar against other people from other systems that may do things differently.

Variety is a good thing!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: