Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably sweep and lock thier arm or wrist untill something happened. BTW, this is my 100'th post.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys that come in real close with their face in yours trying to be intimidating are actually just BEGGING to be kneed in the groin. (Or elbowed, or thrown, take your pick).

The_Yak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but most school fights can be avoided by not having an attitude and respecting those around you. If you do those things the chances of someone wanting to fight you become very slim. Remember: Most of the time you have to give respect before you get it.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but most school fights can be avoided by not having an attitude and respecting those around you. If you do those things the chances of someone wanting to fight you become very slim. Remember: Most of the time you have to give respect before you get it.

Not quite true. In fact completely wrong. The school fights can be avoided by doing whatever the morons think is right instead of what you think is right.

Ever heard of bullying?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Daimyou
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been many years since I have attended a school. Fighting, is your last resort. Use it only when you have no other choice, or it is immediately necessary for the safety of the innocent, and loved ones. When faced with a situation, where an opponent is attempting to shove you, don't let him! Deflect do what you must, except attack him, refrain from this, try to walk away, attempt to walk away, if he chases you and attacks, then your recourse will be justified by self-defense. I hope that helps. Of course as has been stated before, if it is not a school environment, and situation calls for it, then make the first move, but always attempt to end it without fighting..However, beware, a vicious confrontation can erupt from any moment, be prepared. I hope this helps.

Jade_Lotus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true, fighting is the absolute last resort. I hate fighting, and I hate hurting people. I have hurt many people my days, I don't like it, and if i can avoid it i will. Try to avoid it if at all possible only fight if you have to.

Animis Opibusque Parati

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do that, pushing and getting into your face primarily because they're afraid, and they're testing how far they can pump themselves up. That's why they push first, most of them. Subconsciously they want to intimidate you into submission to their will without having to throw any punches, because if punches start to fly then there's a chance they could get hurt. Most everyone fears pain, or at least the prospect of pain.

Bullying and the like are mostly psychological problems the person has with himself. So he bullies others to fill some gap in his soul.

If someone at school wants to fight you, it's not worth it unless they actually try to hurt to you. Walk away. Don't push back, don't even punch back. Why? Is your life threatened? It's just a school fight. Pride is more than likely at stake rather than physical harm.

It's not worth it. There is usually nothing worth "fighting" over at school. The fighters are young, undisciplined, and still learning about life, i.e. growing up. Just don't worry about it. The worst that happens is that other teenagers ridicule you.

Fight only if you absolutely have to. If there is no alternative, then fight. But if you can walk away, no matter if your pride is at stake, then walk away. You know you can fight, and that's all that matters.

ICE
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the same as most and fighting should be avoided but i am also a big believer in self defence an i remember going to school and seeing the exact same situations only at my school i didnt end there most people would then go home and get older brother or cousin involved and it would grow from there.
as for your right hook theory maybee you should consider giving the a quick left jab first just to occupie them so they dont see the right coming. i dont know how skillfull you are so im asuming you do know something about fighting. headbutts can be very affective but if your going to do it do it fast and when least expected because your placing the most valuable part of your body into the mix. just one last thing for you to think about since you said you have a decent right hook if you are right in close (face to face) consider steping back with the left and as you do come across the body with a right elbow people never see this coming or expect it and it should throw them off balance and give you enough time to come back through with a big side kick or whatever you want.

[ This Message was edited by: ICE on 2002-08-03 08:13 ]

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-03 08:11, ICE wrote:
if you are right in close (face to face) consider steping back with the left and as you do come across the body with a right elbow

haha, that's niiiice!

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Seth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Traditional Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't have much experience with this, but if you ask me I would not fight at all. At least, I wouldn't kick or punch. I would just evade his blows, or block them, and make no attempt to kick him myself.
That is of course is the situation was in school.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: