Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

novice2k
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have seen many fights in my school lately and they always start with 2 guys facing each other shoving for a while until someone strikes. I have come to the realisation that if I get in this situation, and strike immediately without shoving, I will almost certainly win the fight. I have a good right hook so what would be the best - a right hook or a headbutt to the nose?

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headbutts are very effective..

I'm almost willing to bet my life opening with a hard left jab will hit them, they won't be expecting it and they won't see it coming.

How about letting the guy push you, going backwards from the force, then coming forward and putting a kick through him ?

I think it depends on the situation, it's not a good idea to get fixed moves in your head.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

[ This Message was edited by: Bon on 2002-07-31 23:39 ]

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither!!!!

Anyone can punch or kick but it takes a MAN to walk away.

Espically at school. If you throw the first punch your as good as home for a week. Considering the school violence isssue you may be lucky to get that.

Back off don't turn your back to them just back off and be cool. NO High School fight is worth anything. Girls and Namecalling big deal.... Like I tell my class Im a 300lbs Albino anda Coach I have been called every name in the book at one time or another. BIG DEAL!!! Sticks and Stone you know......

However if a fight happend this would be my approach. When I walked away I would set him up by turning my back. Be ready to use a hip toss or shoulder throw cause Ill bet money if you walk away and turn you back they will grab your shoulder. Once I had him on the ground I would apply a wrist lock and and talk to him. That way you win no one gets hurt and you don't get in troulbe cause its SD....

However and I stress fighting is NEVER right espically at school.

novice2k
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that is the best scenario, because he is made to look the weaker one but Im more of a man because I didnt resort to fighting as such.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it....

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all that said if this happens in a parking lot or on the street the entire thing changes. First strike becomes an option. However you always have to know where you are and that the same situation in differant locations at differant times can call for differant reactions or actions.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta say that in this situation ju-jutsu or any of its offspring would be the best thing. Go with the push and trip/throw the other guy with his own momentum. If he tries to fight back and you swing as well - you're both busted. Headmaster doesn't care "who started it". If he tries to fight and you get a hold/lock and make him submit, or just pin him with a wrestling move, you could legitimately claim you were trying to avoid the fight, trying to stop it, and just held him until he calmed down/teacher arrived. Particularly if you shout out stuff like "Stop trying to hit me! Are you going to stop if I let you go?" and the like...

If all you've got is basic karate, I'd suggest you focus on blocking and evading at the "pushing" stage. Make it clear that you're not interested in fighting, but don't let yourself get pushed around. Draw the line, defend it, and if he still wants to cross the line, then let him have it. Try to end it quickly, without permanent or obvious damage to your opponent. i.e Don't break his nose or you probably WILL get into serious trouble.

School violence is best avoided. But at the same time there are bullies who will trample on your rights and confidence if you let them. Violence should be an absolute last resort, however, I can think of a few incidents in my own childhood where a swift, hard punch could have saved years of suffering and torment later.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Taikudo-ka , draw the line in the sand. Make sure everyone around you see's the line. If that person cross's it, then they can reap the whirlwind. The great thing about Aikido, in this respect, when you dont REALLY want to hurt anyone, you want to just get out of the situation, a little harmless throw would soon ward them off. But if they come back for more, then well..........some things must be done.

Iamnotworthy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is somewhat off topic but have u guys ever notice when these guys get into fights they try to stare u down and try to put their face right in front of yours. Whats with that? I'll walk away right there if they do that. Obviously their trying to smell u instead of fight u!

shaolinprincess
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Iamnotworthy. Novic, I would do the right punch, in a school, even though you'd be thrown outta school for a while, I would stick to punching,or maybe just taking him down and controling him like a wrist grab.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: