Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shortdog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has any one here actually used their martial arts style in a fight. i dont mean play fighting or sparing, i mean a real streetfight.

SHORTDOG

or email

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells yeah!

If you've read a few of my messages you'd probably pick up that i've been in a few street fights. I don't have just one style now but i've used my martial arts for sure - and it's saved my life. Read my VIOLENT CONFLICT thread.

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have had the unfortunate experience to use my Martial Arts in real life situations, many a time. This has all happened when I was in the intermediate belt range, though. At that point I had all skill and I was willing to use it. Anyway, the point is to fight back without fighting.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll go pick a fight just to get experience, wutcha think?

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes; this is something i don't like to share, but i feel you friends here can keep a secret.
i have been in a few altercations (nothing i ever feel is a good thing). but anyway; once, i was jumped outside a bar when i was in AZ., this person hit me from behind while i was under the influence and trying to go home. now,i know being a taekwodoist you won't believe it but it was elbows and knees that sent me to jail and him to the dentist. i'm sure he's still having problems with his teeth now.
in most street fighting situations it's not a face off but a cheap shot that gets it started. so you must be able to take it as well as dish it out.

violence is the last resort and only to protect life and loved ones not ego.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2001 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an instructor i am asked this very same question from beginners.
so the the classic/formal answer is; that i use my MA everyday in the street; by not knocking out anyone who makes a sly remark, makes me mad at work, and/or attacks my ego.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It basically comes down to the way you carry yourself and the way you use your features to intimidate doesn't it fellas!?

Angus

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ANGUS.. my friend..some people are just trouble. they either think they can out intimidate the intimidator or they just don't like your face and want to rearrange it. or perhaps they just want your money/shoes/watch/jewelry. who knows with all the freaks out there. or as KEN says they just need street fighting experience and want to try their skills.

violence is the last resort and only to protect life and loved ones not ego.

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Jul 20, 2001 4:48am

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True true....

As a freestyle martial artist in my 'earlier' days i did not properly learn the respect that comes with being a 'proper' martial artist. I was arrogant and fought a lot - but i was not like the Cobra Kai, i was not a bully. I was just easily angered and quick to the fist.

Violence IS and always should be a last resort - but unfortunately many fighters such as my self do not have the same sociological background as many of the true martial artists who never use their skills for the purposes of egotistical behaviour.

Angus

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup ive had to use my martial arts in a self defense situation (i am a kickboxer and i study jiu jitsu by the way) .........it was about 5 months ago and i was minding my business and a couple guys decided to jump me. the first guy pushed me to the ground and started kicking me i then rolled away and got up.........he then tried to tackle me and i just moved completely out of the way and he went head first into a car door.........the second guy came at me with his fists up and i just gave him one solid punch to the face and then i kneed him right in the nuts...i was amazed to see that this didnt put him down on the pavement and he kept trying to swing wild punches at me which i was getting out of the way of and then out of nowhere he threw a big huge looping punch at my head and i instantly shoulder threw him and stomped on his face after he hit the ground..
i was in disbelief about the shoulder throw because i dont consider myself good at throwing but it is amazing what you can do in such tense situations.
i still continue with my martial arts now but i now practice plain and simple avoidance......i was a stupid person for taking on those guys because anything could have happend so now i just stay way from situations or places that give me a bad vibe. they could have pulled out a knife or a gun and shot or stabbed me dead i dont really want that to happen so that situation has taught me a big lesson
but if it comes to the point where i have no choice at all but to you physical force i will do it!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: