Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,
This thread is all about fighting so feel free to post anything you want about it.

Thanx

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought these entire forums were about fighting. Crazy me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are but this thread is different.This is about streetfighting.I can't change the title now.If I could I would.This thread looks at what would people do if they were in a streetfight situation.Sorry for the misnaming of the thread.
Thanx

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Also the thread content didn't mention street fighting either... Blah.

I have come to realise that Innitial karate training doesn't mean anything at all when you are faced with six determined attackers. I don't know at what point of learning do you reach a stage where you can really win easily in a one on one with most people but I imagine you will have to put in around a year of HARD training before you are really going to be confident in your ability to beat even somebody your own size with more testosterone flowing around than you.

If you are learning Martial arts so you'll have greater success on the street, should the need arrise (which I'm sure is the reason most people start) You'll probably need to train hard and really listen to your instructors, at the same time think about the implications of using a paticular technique and back it all up with more practice and sparring.

Even then you're going to have a hard time facing some crazy fight-adicted steroid freak who happens to meet you on the corner. Knowing when to run is a useful skill... maybe I will learn it one day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year is just for the basics. Then it takes the mind set to work into. They have to teach you to have the psychology to win. The one thing that seperates good fighters from great fighters is hesitation. If you have hesitation, you lose. You lose big time!

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hesitation is a good perspective and is known by many as a fighters worst enemy(apart from opponent)If you take a moment to hesitate they could have killed you.Always be ready and don't hesitate.Thanx Karateka.

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a general word to any new Karateka. Joining Karate and knowing some basic techniques will mean very little on the streets. It will take some real time and effort before you can transfer basic knowledge into an actual understanding of how to hurt and win in a fight.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumite is one way of practising this

DarkMonkey
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly. But at the same time, new students are limited to the Kurmite they can do as they don't have sufficient control in their attacks to properly spar with people.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have to learn someday.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: