Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bishop
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have been interested in learning some new form of matial arts for a long time.

When I was 12 I had a blue belt in TKD.. but was forced to move to Africa and stopped training. I am now 18 and back in Canada, I have found time to train again, but I feel TKD isn't for me.

After researching the many different styles, I decided that I would be most interested in learning Krav Maga, as it seems a little more 'to the point' than other styles. Also, I am 6'1" and 210 pounds, I feel as though I have the build.

Problem is: THERE IS KRAV MAGA LOCATION NEAR ME.

So, I ask all you experienced, what other styles woud fit this type of person?

- Just quit smoking
- 6'1"
- 210 pounds
- More Fighing style than sport
- Some techniques that would be able to be applied in the real world if needs be.
- More emphisis on combat than self defence

Thank you for your input in advance.
I would really like ANY suggestions. There are no bad ideas!

Cheers,
Bishop

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember TKD has many different styles: W.T.F, I.T.F, and Jhoon rhee's system of TKD. (each style is vastly different from each other. )I can't say that one style will fit you better because you 're 6'1. You pretty much have a good advantage in any up right fighting, since you have a long range. Well, it looks like you want a martial art with "equal stand, and equal ground". jui-jit su? try that.

tigerstyle18
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget TKD, if you're looking for combat, take some form of Jujitsu. Also mixed martial arts like Vale Tudo "anything goes" would be a good bet.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try Kenpo/Kempo style, as you can tailor it to your needs. Hope this helps

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have in your area ?

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Bishop
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a fairly large city in western Canada, and I am sure that there are many places to learn Karate and TKD, also there is a place called warrior hall, http://www.warriorhall.com, who teach techniques within Ninjutsu, Jujutsu and Bujutsu. Feel free to check out their website and tell me what you think.

There is are also other Ju-Jitsu academies within the city.

Also,

Aikido
Capoeira
Kung Fu/ Wu Shu
Jeet Kune Do
Shorinji Kempo
Tae Kwon Do
Tang Soo Do
Wing Tsun
Kendo
Ninjutsu

... and these styles of Karate
Itosu-Kai
Shotokan
Wado Kai

I admit I don't even know what half of these are. I am just looking for a more combatative style with less emphesis on the whole mind, body, soul mumbo jumbo.

I don't think it is possible for me to be incredibly agile and super quick.... I need a style that tailors to strength and aggression.

So what do you think?

Thanks again for your time,
Bishop

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there no muay thai or kickboxing ?

I have to say I don't know much about the styles you've listed. I'd take up a form of jiu jitsu, but strength & aggression doesn't play as an important part as technique. I'd ring up a few dojos and ask them a little bit about the art & go watch a few classes to see what you like the look of best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Bishop
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are actually ALOT of Muay Thai and Kickboxing places around.. hmmmm... definatly something to consider. Thankyou.. but I want to learn a style that uses open hands and joint locks, or whatever you call them.

Anything there?

Thanks again
Bishop

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering these points you've made:

- More Fighing style than sport
- Some techniques that would be able to be applied in the real world if needs be.
- a more combatative style with less emphesis on the whole mind, body, soul mumbo jumbo.
- but I want to learn a style that uses open hands and joint locks, or whatever you call them.

I'd suggest Ju-Jutsu as the closest match, from what I understand. The other styles you've listed as being available are either largely striking styles, or will emphasise a lot of spiritual development, like Aikido.

Also, being a "jutsu" it has more emphasis on the practical, rather than "life-development".

Also, ju-jutsu was originally used by Japanese army, police, etc... I have a book which even demostrates things like "take down and search" as part of ju-jutsu technique!

Bishop
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you ALL for your assistance. I will belive from what you all tell me that Ju-Jitsu may perhaps be the best option for me. I am defiatly going to research as much as I can on the places I could be taught it in my area, and try to decide on the best place.

What Things should I look for in finding the right Dojo? (Is Dojo right for Ju-Jitsu, or is there somthing else?)

By the way... Did anyone follow that link to warrior hall? If so, what do you think of the place? McDojo?

Do instructors usually just teach classes and thats about as personal as they get? Or do they also assit you in perhaps setting up some sort of 'out of class' fitness schedual?

Oh... sorry about all these questions... but I heard the phrase:
"Cry in the Dojo, Laugh on the Battlefield"

What exactly does this mean?

My guess is to practice hardest in the Dojo so when you have to use your techniques, ou will have no problem executing them?!?!?!?

Thanks again ALL of you for your time and input,

Bishop
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: