Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mindset of the person who received the broken finger is more important than the actual pain it causes. I've known plenty of guys who continued to play in an important game for a contact sport despite being injured (including myself). The average person who gets a broken nose will be more likely to give up than a guy who has a tougher mindset. This mindset is what separates survival from loss of life, why some guys can get shot once, curl up, and die, while others can get shot multiple times yet survive. If you have that "never quit" attitude, a broken finger will probably not slow you down as much as it would Joe Average.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The toughness and desire of a person who fractures a finger through typical sports or work will probably come into play much more than if multiple fingers are snapped and continued to be bent after the fact. I've seen guys tough out fractured bones before, even pretty major ones, but when the bone snaps and shoots out of the flesh...their mental resolve usually goes out the window with it.

MMA_Jim
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: BJJ, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finger breaks are something that people often take for granted. I've had people attempt to break my fingers before- when I decide to pull away its very difficult to hold on to a small digit. Its something thats much more difficult than people would think (certainly moreso than just "grab the finger and twist").

BladeSmartNY
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kali, JKD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking a finger can be way more painful than you think. It doesn't matter what size the person is, they will always feel the pain.

But what's more important about finger locks is that you can manipulate someone and injure to a degree. You don't always want to fatally damage someone. Applying a finger lock can allow you to control a situation for safety.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something an LEO and former Marine was telling me he learned a time ago was not only breaking that finger, but also maintaining a hold of said broken finger. That would be very nasty, I think. And I never thought of breaking a finger, and then keeping a hold of it. I just always thought, "break and let go." Holding on to it just makes so much more sense to me now!

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thegatekeeper wrote:
Seems effective to me. I don't know how anyone can keep up an assault with a broken finger.

With adrenaline going, you'd be surprised. I've encountered guys who broke their hands assaulting somebody yet still kept using that same hand to continually pound their victim. You usually don't feel the pain until afterwards.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuma wrote:
thegatekeeper wrote:
Seems effective to me. I don't know how anyone can keep up an assault with a broken finger.

With adrenaline going, you'd be surprised. I've encountered guys who broke their hands assaulting somebody yet still kept using that same hand to continually pound their victim. You usually don't feel the pain until afterwards.
Yep. That adrenaline does magical things at times. I've seen the same when people get pepper-sprayed. Personally, I will never carry the stuff.

johnny78
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fighting with one of my friend.He hold my hand tightly and strikes repeatedly.My bone was almost broken.How can I defend myself from such kind of strike.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't shake hands with anyone you don't trust.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't quite visualize what the situation was from that description. Seems like you should be able to do your standard release, though, turning out through the mouth of the hand away from the palm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: