Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Finger breaks Reply with quote

So tonight in class we were working of self defense stuff. Had one person surrounded by a group of others who were allowed to do what they liked to the central person in an attempt to rob or assault them.

Anyway so the assistant instructor jumped on me and put me in a single arm headlock. After I got out of it he suggested that I could have done it easier by just breaking his fingers. I've been fortunate and have never broken anything before but does it really hurt that much? My argument was that if someone really wanted to mug/rape you a broken finger isn't going to stop them. So how much does it hurt and would it really be effective

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I practiced finger joint locks (from a Chin Na video) in the past, one of the guys was really skittish about them and had to bow out. When he was younger, his little finger was broken, and it's apparently easy to make a broken finger really stick out in a crazy direction. The pain, he said, was terrible.

When I took self-defense JJ lessons, I asked Sensei about finger locks, and he addressed my question by demonstrating for the class--fortunately with a more experienced student than me. That guy went right down to the floor, onto his belly, and Sensei was showing how he could manipulate the controlled man (who'd be crying out in pain if for real) so that he could warn off the guy's friends.

I don't know if pain compliance would work with someone on drugs, Danielle, but if his fingers are snapped they won't work, an advantage to you to get away.

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you run, it's all you'll need.

I believe it does. True, that it doesn't stop someone who is very much insane, but most of those who might attact, it propably does. And as I mentiond, if you don't have a reason to stay, what can he do (unless he has a gun or a knife), He's not gonna use that finger most likely the hand, and he can't beat you with one hand, not with that pain anyway.

It's one way of torture people too...
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately theres no definate answer. Some people it may stop them others it may not. Its annoying that you would only really know until you tried it. If your going to break something on their hand I would say break their thumb as hands don't really work without it.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with Jay on this one. It depends on the person, the circumstance, etc. I dislocated ( know, not a normal break) my ring and middle fingers during a match, and I didn't even realize it. I felt pressure when I tried to make a fist, looked down, they were pointing the wrong way, I kicked the other person in the face, backed up, and popped them back into place. I then made a fist, and figured that I could fight the next two rounds anyways.

Lucky for me, my fingers look normal today haha. It was a stupid decision, and it could have turned out FAR worse, but it goes to show that your body can do some amazing things.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snapped a pinky while training for the pan ams. It was the middle joint whatever that is called and it was very painful. It got caught in my training partners gi and yanked sideways. I kept going through the training match and then tried to continue for my next. After my break the pain was much worse and I couldn't use it so I stuck my hand in my belt and kept going. I definitely feel it could be a deterrent. I also agree with the thumb comment. If you are going to have to start breaking your assailant down, you gotta start somewhere.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Danielle's getting out of the headlock without the finger break was sound; get out and run, or get out, give him a swift kick, and then run.

Joint breaks, in this case the finger, or even giving pain to the assailant's joint, likely work as enough force to get out of the hold and buy time. During that time it's like the above: run, or give him that swift kick and then run.

algernon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wouldn't expect a broken finger to incapasitate most people, I also wouldn't dismiss it in the case of a hold. It may not be painful enough to stop an attack, but between the pain and impairment of the hand, I don't doubt its ability to significantly weaken a hold.

Of course, I've seen people fight through broken noses, jaws, ribs, and even limbs, so I would fully expect to need a strong follow-up. Speaking as a weak sprinter, I would never want to turn my back on someone until I was sure they were incapable of catching me!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any broken bone is going to hurt. I've been unfortunate a time or two or three to have broken a bone. Guess what? It hurt A LOT!

Last time I broke a bone it was in my right hand. I knew my hand was broken just as soon as I did it. But, I didn't show it, even though my hand was quivering and slowly growing. I kept my poker face on...then I went to the hospital.

So, if someone was to break one of my fingers to escape my grasp, well, I'm sure that I'm going to let go with that hand...then I"m going to the hospital.

My Dai-Soke was very fond of telling all of his students whenever they got hurt...Shugyo, which basically means to suck-it-up. That's fine when none of your bones are broken. Hehehe!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys

I wouldn't rule out breaking the guy's fingers if I was grabbed. It'd go along with stamping on his feet, grabbing his groin etc. I don't know whether it'd be enough on its own that's all... TBH my escape was a pretty poor effort (even though it got me free), we don't really practice this as much as we should. This guy is a little taller than me, heavier and a lot stronger and was behind me pulling me over backwards. My initial reaction was to go crazy: stamp on him, elbow, think I tried to kick my heel up to his knee, basically kicking and flailing while I panicked. Then I went back with him, got my hip behind his and flipped us both onto the floor so I landed on him with my elbow. Knocked the wind out of him so he let go and I could run away and deal with the rest of them. If he hadn't have let go I guess I'd be worse off. (I should probably make another thread asking for better escapes ).

Another question,

If the person you were trying to mug broke your finger would you let go?

Reason I ask is another guy I sometimes train with was doing a similar exercise and someone's response to being grabbed like that was to try to bite him. He said not to do it because if it was him that'd hurt but just make him angry and he'd probably start hitting her (if he wasn't already) in response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: