Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: MCM WING CHUN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Finger strikes to the throat Reply with quote

Using a palm strike to set up a finger strike to the throat. Having access to the neck is sometimes difficult as the chin can protect it so I use the palm strike to the face as a preemptive to expose the throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imzot3yZhrE

"When the student is ready the master will appear"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple, effective setup.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a double whammy. if timing on point, to the opponent can't see due to blurry eyes from the palm strike to the nose, and can't breathe due the throat strike. Like you point out, that palm strike might be enough.

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glad both liked it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late to the game, but perhaps I can add a little something...

Good setup and good strike...I would not find fault in what you show.

To share a little Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) info on this...for the heal palm strike...there is "extra point" (Qi Xue - 奇穴) that is located right in the middle of the eyebrow (bilateral). Trying lightly "taping" that as a part of the strike and see what kind of results that you get...this particular point is called Yu Yao or Yuyao (魚腰) and means "Fish Belly". The numbering can vary based on where you look. In what I consider to be the "bible" of TCM (or at least the best quick reference manual...especially for martial artists), Fundamentals of Chinese Acupuncture" by Ellis, Wiseman and Boss, it is referenced as M-HN-6. Other sources (Tung) show it as EX-HN4.

Now, want to take it up a notch? As you make the strike, rotate the hand such that the fingers of your striking hand rotate to the outside of the attacker's head. You can do this one either side of the head with either of your hands. If that does not make sense, hold you hand up (palm facing forward) like you are going to wave bye to someone...just do half of the wave...see how your fingers are pointing out? Bingo! You got it.

To add to the above, if "you" (in the general sense, not necessarily specific to the OP) don't believe in qi, TCM or anything like that...it's all good. From a Western medical perspective you get a double whammy here too. The OP is right in his video that the palm strike is very effective due to what is happening to the brain. What makes things more effective here is that you are getting the brain going back and to the side ALMOST simultaneously. From a trauma standpoint (at least short term), more bang for the buck and good for you.

Take it up another notch...and this is difficult to describe...I can't do a video to show it...maybe in a few days if anyone is interested...As the hand performing the heel palm strike is coming in, "aim" with the finger tips almost all the way to the point where the hand connects to their head. Just as you are about to strike, "POP" the fingertips up (and relax the shoulder) so that this pop in your hand and the strike to the head only have a microsecond of each other. And if you do the "wipe" or "wave" I mentioned above within the next fraction of a second...well, then I pretty much guarantee you that the throat strike is not going to be necessary as Mr. Attacker is going to be taking a nap.

Just a note here in case someone posts back along these lines...

I am NOT advocating or saying that you should go "point hunting". Meaning, specifically, I am not saying that you can attack vital points (dian xue - 点穴 or kyusho - 急所) successfully in a combative situation all the time, every time. Fail your way to success...at the end of the day, end up with the heel palm strike (and go for the throat strike if you need/want to). Get any of the other stuff I mentioned in the process? Icing on the cake.

Hope that is of some interest or help...

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
A little late to the game, but perhaps I can add a little something...

Good setup and good strike...I would not find fault in what you show.

To share a little Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) info on this...for the heal palm strike...there is "extra point" (Qi Xue - 奇穴) that is located right in the middle of the eyebrow (bilateral). Trying lightly "taping" that as a part of the strike and see what kind of results that you get...this particular point is called Yu Yao or Yuyao (魚腰) and means "Fish Belly". The numbering can vary based on where you look. In what I consider to be the "bible" of TCM (or at least the best quick reference manual...especially for martial artists), Fundamentals of Chinese Acupuncture" by Ellis, Wiseman and Boss, it is referenced as M-HN-6. Other sources (Tung) show it as EX-HN4.

Now, want to take it up a notch? As you make the strike, rotate the hand such that the fingers of your striking hand rotate to the outside of the attacker's head. You can do this one either side of the head with either of your hands. If that does not make sense, hold you hand up (palm facing forward) like you are going to wave bye to someone...just do half of the wave...see how your fingers are pointing out? Bingo! You got it.

To add to the above, if "you" (in the general sense, not necessarily specific to the OP) don't believe in qi, TCM or anything like that...it's all good. From a Western medical perspective you get a double whammy here too. The OP is right in his video that the palm strike is very effective due to what is happening to the brain. What makes things more effective here is that you are getting the brain going back and to the side ALMOST simultaneously. From a trauma standpoint (at least short term), more bang for the buck and good for you.

Take it up another notch...and this is difficult to describe...I can't do a video to show it...maybe in a few days if anyone is interested...As the hand performing the heel palm strike is coming in, "aim" with the finger tips almost all the way to the point where the hand connects to their head. Just as you are about to strike, "POP" the fingertips up (and relax the shoulder) so that this pop in your hand and the strike to the head only have a microsecond of each other. And if you do the "wipe" or "wave" I mentioned above within the next fraction of a second...well, then I pretty much guarantee you that the throat strike is not going to be necessary as Mr. Attacker is going to be taking a nap.

Just a note here in case someone posts back along these lines...

I am NOT advocating or saying that you should go "point hunting". Meaning, specifically, I am not saying that you can attack vital points (dian xue - 点穴 or kyusho - 急所) successfully in a combative situation all the time, every time. Fail your way to success...at the end of the day, end up with the heel palm strike (and go for the throat strike if you need/want to). Get any of the other stuff I mentioned in the process? Icing on the cake.

Hope that is of some interest or help...

Thanks for the information.. its very good info..TCM is not something that is mybstrong point although my sifu made me study it a bit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: