Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, it seems as though my dojo takes the opposite approach. My sensei generally lets a transfer student where whatever rank he received in his previous style. Of course, he can only progress after he has gone back and learned everything up to his current rank plus the rank he is trying to earn (so you can have a guy who spends 4-5 years between brown and black belt). Not sure if its a character/honor thing or whatever, but we had a black belt in aikido train with our kempo black belts for the past few years now, and I think everyone in our black belt group greatly enjoys having him in class.

So perhaps the rank itself is not really being transferred, just the physical belt.

Interesting debate nonetheless.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vantheman wrote:
Interestingly, it seems as though my dojo takes the opposite approach. My sensei generally lets a transfer student where whatever rank he received in his previous style. Of course, he can only progress after he has gone back and learned everything up to his current rank plus the rank he is trying to earn (so you can have a guy who spends 4-5 years between brown and black belt). Not sure if its a character/honor thing or whatever, but we had a black belt in aikido train with our kempo black belts for the past few years now, and I think everyone in our black belt group greatly enjoys having him in class.

So perhaps the rank itself is not really being transferred, just the physical belt.

I've seen this quite often, that which your Sensei does for transfers. Seems that it's a good model, and can benefit all concerned in the long run. It shows that this student, while not being trained in said style before, does have experience on the floor. In time, that students knowledge before will meet up with the new knowledge, and allow more growth to surface both on and off the floor.

I like our model, and I like your Sensei's model; neither are incorrect, all have the students best interest at hand!!

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes my dojo will let someone with their rank keep their rank from there other school. Or we will look at them and determine what rank they should be at if they have prior dojo experience. Personally I don't like (I understand the business reason for it.) I don't like it since most people who transfer over never really stay.

But that's just my opinion.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
vantheman wrote:

I've seen this quite often, that which your Sensei does for transfers. Seems that it's a good model, and can benefit all concerned in the long run. It shows that this student, while not being trained in said style before, does have experience on the floor. In time, that students knowledge before will meet up with the new knowledge, and allow more growth to surface both on and off the floor.

I like our model, and I like your Sensei's model; neither are incorrect, all have the students best interest at hand!!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but...

If one has any experience, it's immediately evident once they're on the floor. Pretty much everyone at my current dojo asked me where I previously trained when I first started. That was without me saying anything. A 4th dan swept me the other day during sparring. When we were in the locker room after class, he told me he swept me because "I don't spar with you like I'd spar with any other yellow belt."

I don't need to wear a belt to prove anything. "The proof is on the floor." In my dojo, I'm not worthy of wearing my old rank. I'll earn a new black belt when it's time, and I'll surpass it afterward.

I don't hold a grudge against people who insist on wearing a belt issued by a different organization, but I don't really understand why people get hung up on it. To each their own.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
vantheman wrote:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but...

If one has any experience, it's immediately evident once they're on the floor. Pretty much everyone at my current dojo asked me where I previously trained when I first started. That was without me saying anything. A 4th dan swept me the other day during sparring. When we were in the locker room after class, he told me he swept me because "I don't spar with you like I'd spar with any other yellow belt."

I don't need to wear a belt to prove anything. "The proof is on the floor." In my dojo, I'm not worthy of wearing my old rank. I'll earn a new black belt when it's time, and I'll surpass it afterward.

I don't hold a grudge against people who insist on wearing a belt issued by a different organization, but I don't really understand why people get hung up on it. To each their own.

No, you're not preaching to the choir. I respect what your post speaks towards, and that is...WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!! And your post speaks to me that rank is the last thing, if at all, that's on your mind!!

So be mindful that other SEE your experience on the floor without you even wearing a belt. Alas, that Yondan sweeping you because you're no regular yellow belt; you know that. I say this for those who might've forgotten that.

I can SEE ones knowledge quite fast; less than 5 minutes, some even faster!! As long as I've been on the floor, I just SEE things that others of less experience might take for granted. It's there, you just have to look for it, and surprisingly enough, it just doesn't take that long to spot!! Especially if you know what you're looking for, and often, you don't have to even look for it. Remember, the floor is an unforgiving witness whether one likes it or not.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pred wrote:
Sometimes my dojo will let someone with their rank keep their rank from there other school. Or we will look at them and determine what rank they should be at if they have prior dojo experience. Personally I don't like (I understand the business reason for it.) I don't like it since most people who transfer over never really stay.

But that's just my opinion.

Some who do transfer do not stay, you're correct.
I think transfer should be allowed only if it is the same discipline and can prove that they are at the grade they say they are.
A black belt out of training is only good as a white belt in training - this is what I think as some transfer because they think that black belt is the end.
Black belt achieved you are at the start of the path.

A little off subject there, however if transfer is granted, I think a demonstration of knowledge is required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: