Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that fire-arms should be learned by anyone that is really serious into self-defense. Here are a couple of thoughts:
1. A person should learn how to use a fire-arm to realize the effectiveness of it, how it works and get an appreciation for how hard it is to shoot accurately.
2. A person should learn how to keep a person from drawing their weapon, if close enough.
3. A person should learn what kinds of cover are best and how to best evade a gun-fight.
4. A person should learn tactics on how to fight with a gun also, this gives a greater feeling of how to avoid death agains a trained gun-man.
5. Knife vs Gun. Within 21-ft I'd rather have a knife. A gun is only deadly at one point where a knife can do damage in many directions. Learning both is best.

I feel that fire-arm training is another great martial art in itself and can be great fun.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree....good points and good subject for discussion.............

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

username237
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that learning to use firearms would be fun but would completely defeat the object of martial arts. I mean whats the point of learning how to use your tecniques to defend yourself when you could just pull out a gun. Martial arts isnt about that (not in my opinion anyway). Although you do have a point about learning how to prevent it from happening but to be honest i cant see it being possible, i mean if someone has a gun pointing at you head , if you try and defend it then your prebably gonna get shot anyway! If I was in that situation i think that rather than defending it i'd just run like hell instead!!!

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2001 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he means you should learn the firearm to USE it. I think he means that you get better insight into how to defend against a weapon if you know how to use it yourself.

Aikidoka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tomiki Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK the percentage of people who own or carry guns is minute compared to the US. Most people here will never get to handle a firearm, apart from air guns and shotguns, so it's not such a big issue. I can't say that I worry about being mugged by a gunman, and I doubt that many British people do. However, I have used firearms in other countries, and they can be fun to learn to use.

[ This Message was edited by: Aikidoka on 2001-12-22 07:21 ]

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2001 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firearm training is good if you are authorized to carry them

i live in canada and we dont have close to the amount of guns here to say a place like texas where you can pretty much walk down the street with an sub machine gun

i feel alot safer in places where there are not alot of guns

and if i may put another personal opinion on here

any street punk can pick you off with a gun but it takes a real man to break every bone in their body and/or stab them!

nothing against the pro-firearm people on the board though.........

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!! There ain't nuthin sub about our machine guns!! Blast him!

Just kidding. Having lived in Texas I can say that there are not nearly as many people wlaking around with guns as most people believe.

However, I did think the legislature was INSANE when it passed the "Right to carry" law. They put a bunch of meaningless restrictions on it, but any dumb @#% can still pass them all.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Joanne %100. Karate is empty hand, other martial arts use weapons, but not guns.

of course you need skil to be accurate with a gun. but it takes more skill to be acurate with a throwing dart of a shurikn star!

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I agree with most of those Ken but 5 I think at 21 feet if you got the gun you would have the advantage and it anlso depends where you are and the surrundings it could change everything if one person has a gun and the other has a knive :nods:

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun fighting. I believe that gun fighting hurts martial arts, but my friend takes classes that only teach the self defense aspect of martial arts. Gun training would be good for more modern classes like that.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: