Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: First Ju Jitsu Grading Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have my first ever ju jitsu grading in two weeks and i am very nervous - i find it hard to practise at home at the moment because the garden is drenched (waterlogged) and i don't have any matts, also i do not have any supervision from ju jitsu coaches when using and applying techniques with my brother. I fancied practising breakfalls.

Anyway -wish me luck please.

Any help or advice would be very very much appreciated!

Thankyou
www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I would firstly like to point out that you said in another post, that Aikijutsu, was a mixture of Aikido, Shotokan karate and judo. I dont mean to knit pick, but Daito Ryu Aikijutsu is none of these things. Perhaps you should learn alittle about your art, a good book is the "Hidden roots of Aikido", by Sensei Omniya. Shotokan Karate, Judo and Aikido did not even excist when Daito Ryu Aikijutsu was created. The great Aikijutsu master Sensei Takeda, was practicing Aikijutsu 30 years before Kano, Funakoshi and Ueshiba were even born, so to say that Aikijutsu, was based on Martial arts that even the creator of were not even born is a bit foolish. Sorry I just needed to get that off my chest.

I am current a practicing Aikidoka, and we do very similar techniques to Aikijutsu, as O Sensei Ueshiba the creator of Aikido trained with Takeda for nearly 4 years, before refineing some of the techniques into Aikido. Its very important to get the break falls right, also the basic locks. I dont know whether you do Ki tests, but those are important.

Best of luck.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in reply to Kensai - I am only repeating what i have been told and/or learnt from websites being forwarded to me by members of these forums. I wish not to get into a debate - and the comment about laernbing about my art was not necessary, as that message was put across in different words in what you said about Master Takeda and AikiJutsu being developed before Shotokan Karate and Judo.

I know about the art enough to know that i enjhoy it sand would like to continue training in it.

Thankyou for the advice Bon - since it is my first grading i expect it to be nerve racking a little as it is different from shotokan karate of which i have graded in in the past.

I thankyou all for your comments, and your input is and will be greatly appreciated and looked upon.

And also to add to the post, are you saying that because aiki-jutsu was developed before shotokan and aikido that aikido and shotokan are copied from that art, I think now my martial arts friend - just because it was formed first does not mean that other arts do not contain some of the same characteristics.

Thanx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no debate, mainly because what I say is fact. But I dont like to argue. Also, if one knew anything about it, Aikijutsu was developed much earlier, like I said before. The only Martial Art that has ANY characteristics of Aikijutsu, is Aikido. Again only repeating what I said earlier.

I am glad that you enjoy Aikijutsu, and it is indeed a very refined and effective system.

The comment about learning about your art was purely in a helpful manor, when one talks about a martial art, on a martial art website, you can only expect people to pick you up on your comments. But please do not take offence.

"just because it was formed first does not mean that other arts do not contain some of the same characteristics."

Thank you for agreeing with me, like I said Aikijutsu is the base's for Aikido. There is no Shotokan karate in Aikijutsu, as Sensei Gichin Funakoshi never met, or trained with Sensei Sokaku Takeda.
Sensei Funakoshi learnt all his Karate on Okinawa, some 300-400 miles south of Japan. from my research Sensei Takeda, only when as far south as Honshu.

http://www.daito-ryu.org/
This is a good website for Aikijutsu. has the history and other useful facts.

But like I said, this is not to offend.

Take Care

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Jujitsu and Aikido were offshoots of Aikijujitsu... I guess I need to take a look at that website.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give you is to relax and clear your mind. You would not be in the grading if you did not meet the standards for that belt level, just do what you know how to do and don't worry it is only your first grading no pressure

I AM CANADIAN

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou for your advice Leaf - it will come in very useful on the day!

I apologise if i took too much offense Kensai, i see we both understand eachother now so there is no need to exceed the matter beyond this point!

Thankyou for the link, it will come along to be very usefull!

*PS

Could anyone please send me the first grading syllabus for Ju Jitsu as I am absent of a copy!

Thanx

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking that Bon
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: