Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: First tournament in 2+ years Reply with quote

Once I got my fourth degree, I took a year off. First class back last year I ruptured my Achilles tendon, so I had another year off for surgery and rehab. Been back in the dojangh training since early August, and had my first competition back on Saturday.

4th/5th degrees, men 40-49 was my ring. Consists of a friend I've trained with for years, another 4th degree, myself and my instructor (5th about to test for 6th).

Ended up beating my friend 5-4 in the first round, and lost 5-2 to my instructor in the final round. However, I did get a VERY nice twist kick to his chin (Twisted his helmet around! ) for my only two points.

Ganked up my bo staff form somewhat, ended up 3rd in that, 2nd in the forms competition (Again to my instructor), and 3rd in Combat bangh mangh ee (Basically stick sparring with padded sticks) in my first time ever competing at it. (Lost to my instructor, I'm sensing a theme here!)

Felt great to be back in the ring again! Next up on the agenda is a sword form for our creative division for the November tournament.

John

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

KyungYet
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: 100% powered by Tang Soo Do for nearly 30 years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) You did great, especially after a break and recuperation! And considering all the different events you spread yourself out over. Congratulations!

B) I think it's really awesome that you lost to your master. You know? That he still competes and is still good enough to take you down. It seems inevitable that students outdo their masters, especially as they get older, but it's really an inspiration to me (and I can only assume to you, too!) to have someone to still look up to like that.

KY

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you've made it back into the ring! Its good to see you back here at KarateForums, as well, John.

Where was the competition at? I still talk to my old instructor periodically by phone, and he has tested for 5th degree just a while back, and is doing pretty well. I could never beat him sparring, either.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

Injuries suck but at least you did the smart thing and took some time off to let it heal.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That's great that you've made it back into the ring! Its good to see you back here at KarateForums, as well, John.

Where was the competition at? I still talk to my old instructor periodically by phone, and he has tested for 5th degree just a while back, and is doing pretty well. I could never beat him sparring, either.

Here in Phoenix, ATA regional tournament this last weekend.

John

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aodhan wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

John
Very cool. My former instructor is Tony Collett, and he is out of Colorado. Are you familiar with him?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I wholeheartedly concur with Brian!! Very rewarding to hear that you've returned. Felt great, huh? And yes, welcome back to KF as well!!

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Aodhan wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

John
Very cool. My former instructor is Tony Collett, and he is out of Colorado. Are you familiar with him?

Not directly, I believe he recently achieved 5th degree. Paragon martial arts, yes? With Stan Shields? I've taken "drop in" lessons there when I've been back to Co visiting my parents, but I don't recall Mr. Collett specifically.

John

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he does work with Mr. Shields. I'm not sure what the name of the school is, though, but I think you are right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: