Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

enigma 29
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shotokan karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: first tournament Reply with quote

I will be in my first tournament this weekend. I'm an orange belt and I'm doing kata. i am kinda nervous but after reading some of the advice that was offered to others I feel kind of better. I'll do my best.
also does it matter how i wear my hair. i'm a girl!!!!!!!

John G
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwon-Do, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums enigma 29.
Best of luck in your upcoming tournament, relax and have fun.
How to wear your hair? Can’t advise you on that, I’m eggshell blond .

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what John said!

and as far as the hair......
It as been my experience not to draw too much attention to your "appearance" .... most especially when performing kata. I know that is difficult especially for us girls!! :pony:

Keep the hair tied back .... better if you can braid close to the scalp as in a french braid so as not to have the "pony" flapping" all over the place (mine does alot as you can see in photo album) .. and then it doesn't get in your face and distract the judges too.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as your hair:
There are two trains of thought on this one.
Practicality: Like KickChick said, you can tie it back and keep it away from your face so it doesn't fall and distract you. A nice product to use is the "Hair Cinch" (http://www.haircinch.com) ...great for slippery hair that doesn't like to stay in ponytail holders. Looks pretty cool, too. I used to wear that before I cut my hair short.
The other idea is Drama:
Before I cut my hair, my instructor always wanted me to this one demo with my hair down. I was doing a kama kata to "Welcome to the Jungle", and he said I looked like a wild woman with the hair flying all around. It can look cool and pretty Amazon-y, but it's also pretty disorienting.

Try doing your kata several times, each time having your hair fixed up differently. See how it feels. To be honest, I don't think judges really pay that much attention to your hair...as long as it isn't bright pink or something.

Of course, you could always just hack it off like mine (see my pic in the photo album)

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, and tell us all how you do!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl wrote:
To be honest, I don't think judges really pay that much attention to your hair...)

This just brought to mind the time when I was judging an open tournament and a young girl had her hair in a "scrunchie" (elastisized fabric ponytail holder) and it flew off during kata and her hair was all over her face and this totally threw her off...she kept putting her hair behind her ears and taking it out from her mouth...while trying to do her kata!. I felt like telling her to excuse herself and go fix her hair and come back.
So they do pay attention!

When I went to tournaments with my daughter as a coach I was prepared like a stagemother! I had pins, thread & needle, cold packs, first aid kit... water, hair accessories & munchies galore! Keep a "tournament bag" prepared!

NidanWarrior
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Kenpo, Kobujitsu, Jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How'd you do? Hope all went well. I was pretty nrvous at my first tournament too, but then it okk so long that I was more tired of waiting than nervous about competing. Just do your best! If you can give 100% throughout the entire kata, then that's all anyone can ask of you and I'm sure it will show.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of this thread when I saw this!!!

Hey enigma.... how did you do????
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: