Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of people that talk to me about joining my karate class because they want to lose weight and get in better shape, and my first reply to them is always this.

"I'm teaching karate, not building "better bodies". If you want to lose weight and get in better shape, join a health club."

Yes, during the course of your training, you will get in better shape, and no doubt lose weight. However, that is not the goal of my training.

My system of traditional Okinawan karate came from farmers, fishermen and merchants and is designed for the common man to do, regardless of what shape they are in. Tall, short, fat or thin..EVERYBODY should be able to do this art, because that is what it is designed for, and has been for several hundred years.

We do all the standard pushups and situps that everybody else does in class, but I don't require that people be able to do any set number of them. If they can do 5..great! If they can do 50...BETTER! I teach for what the art was intended, self-defense. Not for weight loss, and definitely not for sport. I can think of a number of other systems for either of those, if that's what they want. Tae Bo would be good! lol

So the answer to your question on this thread...no, physical fitness is not a factor in this system. We're just a bunch of chain smokin', pizza lovin', beer drinkin' couch potatoes..that can kick some major butt if we need to (self-defense only of course)!

Ben
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hap Ki Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here just what i think personally, and also what i have done:

A while back i joined a TKD club... the first 2 times i was a spectator, and then got as far as joining in for a few classes. the instructor was, what i feel, very good, and i made it clear that i left because i felt i needed to be fitter within myself, not the way he teaches. He understood and ever since i have been working on my health.

As a person, i felt i could benefit from being more fit. that it would help me achieve what my goals were and are. and i believe that as an individual, thats what matters and i feel its the best way to achieve what i want to do. that is my individual decision.

I find it good to see instructors who are willing to individually train students no matter what condition they are in. i have great respect for them, and to really connect with your students, i feel that doing warm ups with them, going through kicks etc with them, pointing out whats wrong would really be good for the student.

I dont know where i'm going with this... just.. some kind of input from a begginer i guess.. plus it being 1:30AM doesnt help

Darce
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeRo wrote:
well straight from the start of TKD to pass our first grading we have to do 10 push-ups and 20 situps. it gets more and more as you progress.

That´s not that though. What´s the requirements for a black belt?

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my last grading I had to run 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes (pretty fast pace for an old fart!); then I had to do 50 each of situps, side cruches (both sides), back raises, leg lifts, and pushups..all in under 4 minutes.
Then we did curriculum. My previous school tried to push you to the breaking point with various "activities" and made it more of a mental game. Often it required teamwork to help everyone finish-that made the experience of becoming a black belt more meaningful as you truely felt you were a member of the Black Belt Family-not just another club member.

I much prefer the former schools way. But things can change......!!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

shortstick
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo, Tae Kwon Do, Sarrada Eskrima

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to offer a conditioning class is great. I think its important to have a good balance of that in every class. I think it is best to not require anything above and beyound what the rank calls for. BUt on the same note, I want to provide the intense training for those who want it.
I had a 50 year old man start training, he had a blown out knee, a bad back.....6 years later he got his black belt. He was in much better shape all around then when he started, but he could not do 150 pushups, or run 4 miles. but he trained as hard as his body would allow.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: