Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Theochh
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Footwear Reply with quote

Hi All

During this lockdown period I struggle to find the space to train indoors, my only option is to go outside into my garden, which is still limited in space. With that being said, would you train bare foot outside or wear some form of footwear?

Are “kung fu” slippers the chosen footwear? Or do people have alternative ideas.

Thanks all

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Feiyue shoes when training outside. They are awesome--I have two pairs.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear whatever's the most comfortable shoe while training, whether it be for indoor or outdoor; both have their own challenges. Kung-Fu shoes can be quite slippery depending on the surface, and I tried them in my youth, and I never liked them at all. In that, I've no favorite outdoor/indoor training shoe, I just wear what's in my closet, but make sure I lace them up tight.

For me, I'm not a huge fan of training outside because of the uncertainty of the topography; find an unnoticed hole, no matter how tiny that hole might be, you end up twisting an ankle.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For outdoor training one ought to consider three features above all else: the shoes must be comfortable! If they are not, it may cause cumulative injuries to the feet, ankles and legs when training intensively.

Second, the footwear must be flexible enough to allow every natural movement of the entire foot/ankle as to not restrict the usual range of motion. Third, whatever shoes you choose should be light and not too heavy as to distort balance, movement or range for when you move, shift weight or kick.

There are specific shoes designed for martial arts, but any shoe that fits the criteria can be used. Sometimes the specifically designed “martial arts shoes” don’t fit personally, it really depends what the intended use is. The last thing to consider is the training place: in or outdoors? Smooth(asphalt, paved) ground or terrain such as a turfed backyard, or varied and natural like in a park or clearing in a wooded area? Buy the shoes that fit the ground/place as well as what you expect to train.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my yard was fairly level and didn't have any stickers or burrs in it, I'd consider some barefoot training. Otherwise, I agree with the above, to find a comfortable training shoe. I've had TKD "kicking" shoes in the past; they were lightweight, but I found the bottom of the shoe to be too narrow for my liking, causing my balance issues. Your mileage may vary.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, I think when one trains at home, one should train in the shoes one will most likely be wearing all the time. Better yet, one should train in all different types of shoes, because you never know when you might have to defend yourself.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train barefoot at home, mainly because I never wear shoes unless I have to pass my front gate. If I have a cut on my feet I find that the local sports supplier (Decathlon) sell cheapo school pumps, like a kung-fu slipper but with a better sole. Those do the trick without losing the feel of the ground.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the dojo, I train in whatever is my current workout shoe. Typically an older pair of sneakers that have been replaced by a new pair. Several reasons for that: training in shoes that I regularly wear is far more realistic than training barefoot (what are the chances of being attacked barefoot?); and I have bone spurs and plantar fasciitis in both feet, making support crucial.

When my feet are acting up, I wear wrestling shoes in the dojo. They don’t get worn anywhere else, so they’re clean and acceptable in the dojo when I need them. They allow movement and offer some support for my arches.

If you’re looking for a specific recommendation, ASICS Matflex. Good and cheap. I’ve worn various pairs for decades between wrestling, coaching wrestling, and karate. ASICS Aggressor are quite popular for their heavier and more supportive soles. Far more expensive. I keep telling myself to buy a pair for extra support but haven’t done so.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trainers. Or I have several pairs of TKD shoes which you'll find flex more and are lighter weight than running shoes but won't stabilise you. They're probably as close as you could get to being barefoot. Adidas, Daedo, Mooto and Kwon are probably the more well-known brands.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't train barefoot but do walk around the house without footwear.

As for training in the house or gym I use waterproof slippers that people wear usually when swimming around rocks or on hot sandy beaches.

They are a great alternative to wearing kung fu slippers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: