Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

blood talon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ppl, so i just wanted to knw about footwork in a real fight. like most people that start fights around my area have this crazy footwork system, they switch up move side to side, theyre hands are moving, like a very triky boxer. i just wanted to know ,being a thai boxer(and our foot work is limited)how do i fix up my footwork. how do i be triky and quick in a fight. which ways do you guys train your movements.
as a matter of a fact, i got the technique and the strengh but i ont have the sped and the slyness for a fight, how do acuire what i seek.

hehe, thanx fr reading, and if u got an input, pleas share

lataaaaaaaaaaa

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school, we don't do a lot of footwork. Basically, all you need is to keep up on your toes (ball of your foot, that is) and bounce slightly. This will allow you to spring forward for fast kicks and punches. If you want to fake someone out and do a lot of kicking, footwork is good. This way you can set up for a kick and it just looks like you're acting normally. This is all theory to me, though, since I don't really use footwork.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

SuperMinh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching legs all the time isn't as good as it looks... What happens if an attack comes while you're switching and your legs are "square on"? You fall cos you can't dodge it. Don't ever cross your legs either.
Same for moving the hands all the time. Sure it makes you look "tricky" but while you move your hands, your guard is open. Your opponent can wait 'till you drop one of your hand and jab you in the face.
If you wanna practice footwork, move around and try to circle your opponent. Don't just move forwards and backwards. Footwork is the best tool for keeping your distance when you defend and "closing the gap" to attack.
It's inportant to work on it.

SuperMinh

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Footwork is crucial .... you have the advantage if you can acquire it.

Start by moving forward. Step forward with your leading foot approximately six inches. Bring your back foot forward approximately six inches, which returns your feet to their original staggered stance. Then move backwards, stepping first with your rear foot approximately six inches. Adjust your stance by moving your forward foot back. Continue.

Next, step to your left with your left foot, and close the gap by moving your right foot to the left just enough to return to your stance. Make sure you aren't ending up with your feet side by side because then you will have lost your fighting stance, and your balance. Balance is key!! Now move to your right stepping with the right foot first. Adjust your stance.

Practice these moves until they are automatic and controlled. Then try your slide and glide. Move forward (advance), backward (retreat) or laterally (side to side) with a quick, gliding motion that moves both of your feet approximately six inches in the desired direction at the same time. Your feet skim the floor, which means you are not hopping.... your feet must land together. Keep practicing. The slide and glide will help you stay light on your feet and quicken your sparring/fighting abilities .... remember to pace yourself!

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spar alot and step into your punches or kicks.After awhile you will notice that you got footwork.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

Kempo_Dude
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.. but i dont do any Footwork either.
Kempo dont do Footwork..

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: