Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Can you give me a couple of ideas to improve my footwork/kicking combos skills?
Also, another exercises to improve my "teep" kick. What i do is pushing the heavy bag, and when the bag comes back to me,. then i hit with the kick and stop it.. is that good? any other ideas?.
Thanks

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a training partner have him wear a belly pad, and practive the drill. For combos, utilized the same with the partner wear shin guards and thai pads...

Slim
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend i knew had done martial arts from a young age, mostly karate then a few years of MT, in his first (and only) amatuar MT bout he was surprised that the only thing he was landing was his frount kick. The other guy had a few fights under his belt (shorts?) though. I think the karate training had developed a fast snappy kick.
But to answer your question, I would work on speed and balance first, and then power later. I find the heavy bag harder to work on, it seems 20 hard kicks on the pads is easier than 20 hard kicks on the bag. Work the kicks into combos, and practice faking punches to draw their guard high. Maybe things like skipping and sprinting to get fast feet. Boxer the boxer would be one to comment on this.

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2001 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well on yourfoot work you could practice shifting for your weaker leg it`s supposed to be that way then practice same things you learn in class like 2-5 attacks or moves or what ever and make sure you do the footwork properly and do roundhouse footworks all the attacks you know that struggle with and just practice on how your teacher in class tells you how to if you have a teacher!!

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For footwork you can do some skip-rope. It will help you to become lighter on your feet. Stay on your toes when shadow-boxing and always use footwork in any drill. To get a great "teep" kick, try kicking a solid,stationary object. Working the heavy bag like you describe is pretty good, but instead of just stopping the bag from swinging, try to kick it so hard that it folds. When I teep, I like to hop with my support foot, this adds alot of power. Also, I like to turn my hip over and my teep "screwdrives" in where, when it lands, it almost looks like I just did a side-kick.

boxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general rule is to jump rope, run, and sprint. Another good one is when you are shadow-boxing, "glide" forward and back, and side to side. Do this for 2-3 rounds EVERY time you work out. This will get in-grained into your head and will immensely help your sparring. Remember when moving forward your lead leg is pulling, moving back the back leg is first to move, and the same rules on lateral movements.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: