Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: For all who own or run a school Reply with quote

Help me out please folks. I am looking to open a school in the next several months. Help me out about what fees, licences and other things may be out there that I am forgetting. Please post here or email it to me at chuanfa_sifu@yahoo.com. Thanks guys in advance. That is chuanfa, then an underscore, then sifu. It doesnt show up since email addresses are underlined.

whitedragonma
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: tae kwon do

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenpo, I dont know if I can be much help cause of the differance in location. I just opened my school about 3 weeks ago and am just looking to hopfully pay the rent and utilities. As far as fees to charge students that also depends upon your location. I am located in a very small town and prob. not charging as much as schools in metro areas. If you plan on selling MA gear then you might need to get a tax number. You might also think about insurance also. Good luck

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things to check out:
1. See if your state qualifies martial arts dojos as gyms. If so, you will need to make sure you are complying with gym laws. Check under the Health Club Act.
2. See if your state requires that your students are under contracts.
3. It may be a bit expensive, but hire a trustworthy lawyer and an accoutant. The lawyer can check into your licensing information, as well as insurance terms for your school and health requirements, and whether or not you are incorporated.
The accountant will let you know how your school's taxes need to be done, as well as what you need to know to sell gear. There can be a lot of tricky things as to zoning and whether or not you have a seperate pro shop, etc. etc.
4. Networking is a must, so join your local chamber of commerce. That way, you can set up joint projects (health & safety fairs, self-defense demonstrations, martial arts entertainment, etc.) with other businesses in the future.

I don't own or run a school, but those are my suggestions.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good suggestions monkeygirl.

Definatly check the laws. Most things I have found don't require any special requirements. I have looked into them myself many states don't have any laws dealing with Martial Arts Businesses. Check into it though that was last year when I was looking around the laws.

As for the fees you have to check out how much it is going to cost you to run the school and tailor them to that. Of course you will probably want a profit.

1. Monthly contracts work for a lot of schools.
2. Some do yearly although I would not recommend without a refund policy.
3. Single class fees are also good but you have to have them sign any contracts about insurance and all that just like any other student has to.

I would recommend setting up different plans.

Single Class Fee
Monthly Fee
3 Month Fee
6 Month Fee
1 Year Fee

Of course giving some savings for the longer they sign up.

Registration Fees are also done at some schools

Many have one time fees of anywhere between 15 to 50 from what I have seen, due at the beginning of each year.

Well I hope this helps.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, much appreciated. Pleeze keep the advice coming:)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: