Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
Hmmm... We use x-blocks quite a bit to defend against knives!

I know. Many, many teachers teach this technique against a knife. Many high grade teachers swear by it. But they have never put it to use in real life.

If utilized against a novice it may work but the chances are high you get cut. Used against someone with any level of training... well lets just say that will at the very least end up in the hospital with stitches, that's if the attacker is squeamish and stops after seeing your blood.

Don't take my word for it. Attend any knife fighting class and you will realize that, blocking in general, against a skilled person with a blade ends in tragedy. Have your Uke attack you at full speed and tell them to make it real. Use a lower grade with little experience, give them a marker, and just see what happens. I think you'll be surprised how many times they tag you. Don't wear your nice new Gi.

To be honest I was taught the same thing but after my time in the Corps and studying under a Filipino knife fighter I was able to convince my Shinshii to remove these techniques.

If you block an experienced knife fighter they will rip back as soon as they experience resistance and both of your arms/hands will be shredded. Hard to defend yourself at that point.

Solid post!!

I'd never ever use many blocking techniques against a knife, for the many reasons that you speak about here. Without a knife or the like, I'd use the upper x-block because it transitions into other applications.

I was once told by a knife guy that there are no blocks other than mental blocks....

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I know. Many, many teachers teach this technique against a knife. Many high grade teachers swear by it. But they have never put it to use in real life.

If utilized against a novice it may work but the chances are high you get cut. Used against someone with any level of training... well lets just say that will at the very least end up in the hospital with stitches, that's if the attacker is squeamish and stops after seeing your blood.

Don't take my word for it. Attend any knife fighting class and you will realize that, blocking in general, against a skilled person with a blade ends in tragedy. Have your Uke attack you at full speed and tell them to make it real. Use a lower grade with little experience, give them a marker, and just see what happens. I think you'll be surprised how many times they tag you. Don't wear your nice new Gi.

To be honest I was taught the same thing but after my time in the Corps and studying under a Filipino knife fighter I was able to convince my Shinshii to remove these techniques.

If you block an experienced knife fighter they will rip back as soon as they experience resistance and both of your arms/hands will be shredded. Hard to defend yourself at that point.

Solid post!!

I'd never ever use many blocking techniques against a knife, for the many reasons that you speak about here. Without a knife or the like, I'd use the upper x-block because it transitions into other applications.

I was once told by a knife guy that there are no blocks other than mental blocks....

Sound advice.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

The likelihood of being attacked by an experienced knife fighter is pretty small.

The likelihood of getting cut in a knife fight, regardless of technique, is probably pretty high.

Best strategy? Don't get into a knife fight!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

The likelihood of being attacked by an experienced knife fighter is pretty small.

The likelihood of getting cut in a knife fight, regardless of technique, is probably pretty high.

Best strategy? Don't get into a knife fight!

Sound advice and true. No matter the degree of proficiency a person wielding a blade is a dangerous situation. Even the novice will hit it's target even by chance.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I agree with you. I've tried to make my sensei remove these techniques to no avail.

But the question is... what should we be doing instead of blocking? (other than running away )

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I agree with you. I've tried to make my sensei remove these techniques to no avail.

But the question is...what should we be doing instead of blocking? (other than running away )

Just punch him in the face.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will respond with this answer:

I think everything is important IF...it is emphasized / explained the right way.

If not, then it is not important.

Examples (Note: this is not what happens in my school / style in particular, but things that are out there):

- Instructors who preach the Dojo Kun and Guiding Principles but don't live them themselves.

- In another forum (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) someone posted that forms done over and over were "Bad." Obviously, this person's instructor did not emphasize or show the student that value of forms.

- Pretending that something is not what it is...(Never hitting or getting hit in class and instructing someone that they are ready for self-defense. Never sparring, really sparring, but telling someone they are ready for competition, etc.).

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when it comes to knife defense, the best defense is a better offense, like distance and a gun that is already drawn. But, this isn't always practical (or I should say rarely is), so other options have to be sought.

I'm no expert, but its important to deflect that attacking limb to the best of your ability, and do what is possible to control the wrist of weapon hand. Then you've got to redirect that blade away from you, and get rid of it.

Just my thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: