Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: For Some...Not For Others!! Reply with quote

Other than rank, I would like to propose a question, if I might.

We determine from time to time as to exactly what's important and what's not important, no matter what that might be, and I believe that we reserve the right, as well as the integrity, to decide of our own accord.

What's not important in the MA, minus rank??

Last edited by sensei8 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: For Some...Not For Others!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

We determine from time to time as to exactly what's important and what's not important, no matter what that might be, and I believe that we reserve the right, as well as the integrity, to decide of our own accord.

What's not important in the MA??

Fame and Fortune...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: For Some...Not For Others!! Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Fame and Fortune...

Fair enough.

Allow me to ask somewhat differently....

What's not important, things that are specific MA related, in the MA??

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I agree with the "Fame and Fortune" answer, and by that I mean that it is not important, in my personal opinion, to make money off of MA. Though some schools make good money, and, some martial artists have made lots of money in movies, I don't think that is what is important.

Second is ego. There are way too many senior martial artists, and good ones at that, who believe they don't need to learn anything from anyone else. This often causes schools or organizations to break apart, and it is unfortunate.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be argued that lineage in martial arts doesn’t matter...unless one actively and diligently applies oneself to learn, practise and thoroughly understand what the teacher offers.

Merely being the student of a great teacher and martial art expert, does not make someone also an expert. It takes great pains, considerable personal effort and stubborn perseverance to develop skills even under the best possible guidance.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which things are not important depends on which martial art and who the students are.

I was going to say uniforms are not important, but then I thought of judo and jiu-jitsu.

Bowing, yelling "Yes Sir", reciting dojo creeds, etc. is all nonsense. But then I thought of teaching little kids discipline and respect. And after all, most of the participants in MA any more are kids.

Learning weapons like nunchaku, tonfa, sword, sai, is pointless from a practical point of view, since it's difficult and generally illegal to carry them. I still like to fool around with 'chucks sometimes, and I've used them to do some pruning in my garden!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzKicker wrote:
Which things are not important depends on which martial art and who the students are.

I was going to say uniforms are not important, but then I thought of judo and jiu-jitsu.

Bowing, yelling "Yes Sir", reciting dojo creeds, etc. is all nonsense. But then I thought of teaching little kids discipline and respect. And after all, most of the participants in MA any more are kids.

Learning weapons like nunchaku, tonfa, sword, sai, is pointless from a practical point of view, since it's difficult and generally illegal to carry them. I still like to fool around with 'chucks sometimes, and I've used them to do some pruning in my garden!

The benefits I saw from weapons training was gaining a better understanding of movement. Your movement changes when you’re training weapons like the bo. Hand-eye coordination also improves. It certainly doesn’t make someone a worse martial artist IMO.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: For Some...Not For Others!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Fame and Fortune...

Fair enough.

Allow me to ask somewhat differently....

What's not important, things that are specific MA related, in the MA??

Gi, Obi, Hojo Undo equipment, makiwara...while all are "important", I could (and have) train and teach without these...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that much of the ceremony that we follow in the more "traditional" MA styles is probably not as important at its made out to be. Those traditions tend to be cultural I nature, and a small percentage of those actually practicing MA outside of the country of origin are of that culture. In most cases, the bulk of these ceremonial actions could be done without.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great posts, all, thus far; please keep them coming!! Thank you, all!!

What Kihon/Methodology/ideology, or your MA styles equivalent, isn't important??

Let's get real deep in this; we've scratched the surface, and our knowledge/experience pool, here at KF, is way, way, deep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: