Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Hwa-Rang TKD, ITF, ATA TKD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartialArthur wrote:
In 1983 I was a yellow belt and we did not spar until green (there was no orange back then). At green we started sparring, and yes, we did not use gear. A few years later we started using gear for training only, and eventually went to gear for tournaments as well.

Today I don't think that I could get insurance if I didn't require my students to use safety gear. I would probably have difficulty getting students as well. Many people have to go to school or work the next day, so black eyes and broken noses won't do.

Yup, I know all about that. May I ask who you are with now?

-Adam

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterH, you seem to have a fairly positive view of the ATA yet you are not longer an instructer why is this if i may be so bold to ask?

MartialArthur
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterH wrote:

I am with Taekwondo America - www.taekwondoamerica.org

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muaythaiboxer wrote:
MasterH, you seem to have a fairly positive view of the ATA yet you are not longer an instructer why is this if i may be so bold to ask?

Well, politics suck! I'm in the middle here. My Instructor GM Jack Pierce was a big player in the ATA from the 70's to 1995. I started under Mr. Chuck Glandville, a student of GMP, he passed away. GMP moved from Sacremento to the Seattle area and I started takeing classes under him. Now it was my parents, 2 brothers, my sister and I. My parents purchased the Snohomish school, so now my family are players in the ATA as well. The ATA started to change into more of a business oriented association about 1992-93 and by 1995 GMP had it. He left the org. I had to make the decision to fallow my instructor or the Association, at first I fallowed my family with the Association, and realised that it was just not right. I left the ATA in 1999-2000 with a 4th Degree and jumped into the ITC and a bit later the HTF with GMP.

My family is still with the ATA, my parents own a school in N. Seattle. I have a number of very close friends still in the ATA as well as Taekwondo America and the USTF. The People of the ATA are top shelf. It's the guys in charge that I have some issues with, but it's just politics. I really do not like where the org has been going.........but I'm starting to see changes. And it's good changes. Will I ever be in the ATA again, I don't know. As long as my instructor stays out, I will. When he passes away, I still don't know. Time will tell.

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartialArthur wrote:
MasterH wrote:

I am with Taekwondo America - www.taekwondoamerica.org

Hey! Do you know Gary Bunker? By chance........

MartialArthur
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterH wrote:

I don't recognize the name. Where is he?

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterH wrote:
Muaythaiboxer wrote:

Well, politics suck!

that I have some issues with, but it's just politics. I really do not like where the org has been going.........but I'm starting to see changes. And it's good changes. Will I ever be in the ATA again, I don't know. As long as my instructor stays out, I will. When he passes away, I still don't know. Time will tell.

MasterH-

Yes, they did ease the requirements for 5th degree, you can get quite a bit of velvet by judging at Nationals, doing regional camps, etc etc. If you're on the ATA mailing list, there was a message a while back showing all the changes, if not I can get you a copy.

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartialArthur wrote:
MasterH wrote:

I don't recognize the name. Where is he?

He was originaly from Louisinina, moved to Seattle worked out with GM Pierce and dropped out of the ATA about the same time as GMP. But he went over to Taekwondo America and had a club in Kirkland WA. He was my wifes original instructor. He gave up the club to me, and moved away. I just havn't heard from him in years. He would be a 5th or 6th by now if he kept up his training.

MasterH
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aodhan wrote:
MasterH wrote:
Muaythaiboxer wrote:

Well, politics suck!

that I have some issues with, but it's just politics. I really do not like where the org has been going.........but I'm starting to see changes. And it's good changes. Will I ever be in the ATA again, I don't know. As long as my instructor stays out, I will. When he passes away, I still don't know. Time will tell.

MasterH-

Yes, they did ease the requirements for 5th degree, you can get quite a bit of velvet by judging at Nationals, doing regional camps, etc etc. If you're on the ATA mailing list, there was a message a while back showing all the changes, if not I can get you a copy.

Aodhan

Our mutual friend, David L, sent it to me. I am on the mailing list and I was the one making the big stink, I'm still fighting for my mom. That's one of the changes I was talking about, it's a very good thing.

-Adam

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my humble opinion when a rank is decided by the amount of money you have brought to the organisation instead of skill there is a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: