Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

infinitehand
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kata are pragmatic fighting systems in and of themselves. Knowing 30 kata doesn't make a bit of difference to the Karateka who UNDERSTANDS and can Read one.

Kata contain: locks, pins, throws, chokes, strikes, grappling and Kyusho.

No technique is for show, chamber, prepare or "load". Each individual technique is there for a specific reason.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinitehand wrote:
Kata are pragmatic fighting systems in and of themselves. Knowing 30 kata doesn't make a bit of difference to the Karateka who UNDERSTANDS and can Read one.

Kata contain: locks, pins, throws, chokes, strikes, grappling and Kyusho.

No technique is for show, chamber, prepare or "load". Each individual technique is there for a specific reason.
This gets state a lot, and a lot of times, its all that gets stated. No elaboration, no clarification, just statement.

I like to see more about where all these applications are in these katas. I have read some good books that elaborate a bit more on this, and they are immensly helpful.

infinitehand
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawa Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A forum isn't exactly the best environment for "elaboration" but a good teacher is. Any questions let me know.

Im also in the process of getting some videos up on YouTube. Perhaps that'll be more helpful.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like n old discussion but I find it interesting. When I trained in Taekwondo I cared very little for forms personally. Not dissing taekwondo but as a practitioner I didn't care for them. I enjoy forms from tang Soo do however, or the version of them that I learned which is much less rigid and much more fluid. I also enjoy my hung gar forms, like tiger crane. I still practice and teach a small amount of taekwondo forms, and hung gar although the forms I teach in my system are primarily tang Soo do.

Forms in my opinion are a great way to grade students. They are also a great way to break down moves step by step, and often at a slower pace then a fighting situation, or compared to doing a set of attacking combinations with them. That are good for balance, and with some kids In particular they are great for a sense of direction. Forms are a great way to practice on your own as well, sometimes I enjoy private training and forms are a great way to do this, oh not to mention they are a great artistic expression IMHO of the art you study. Forms are great for strengthening and learning to breath properly. Man I could go on and on about why I think they are great, I say this as a student and teacher. I find many useful movements in forms for self defense but they are not literal in most cases, many great techniques can be derived from them though.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still a new practitioner. I am planning to test for my yellow belt next month. I am however, older than most practitioners for my rank. I think this also gives me a bit of a different perspective. A year and a half ago I hurt my back to the point of hardly being able to walk. Even now my balance is somewhat compromised as is some dexterity in my feet. I find that the kata are helping me with my balance and some dexterity. While the numbness is not abating I am adapting to what I have to work with. I still can't run up and down stairs like I used to but I am getting more confident. I find that kata also helps my movement flow more and while I will probably never be classified as graceful, I feel my movements getting smoother and more polished.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinitehand wrote:
A forum isn't exactly the best environment for "elaboration" but a good teacher is. Any questions let me know.

Im also in the process of getting some videos up on YouTube. Perhaps that'll be more helpful.

I feel like if you can elaborate in words it can often strengthen your understanding and ability to view things differently in breaking the kata down to its most basic techniques.

I have found that by having to elaborate my interpretations or thoughts to those on this forum that has actually improved my understanding of kata. Like Bushido_man96 said even books can elaborate quite nicely for techniques.

I like seeing videos in relation to breaking Kata down into bunkai because I am a visual learner, but to get me thinking (truly thinking about what to do), I will read someone elses interpretation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
infinitehand wrote:

I feel like if you can elaborate in words it can often strengthen your understanding and ability to view things differently in breaking the kata down to its most basic techniques.

I have found that by having to elaborate my interpretations or thoughts to those on this forum that has actually improved my understanding of kata. Like Bushido_man96 said even books can elaborate quite nicely for techniques.

I like seeing videos in relation to breaking Kata down into bunkai because I am a visual learner, but to get me thinking (truly thinking about what to do), I will read someone elses interpretation.

Solid post!!

It's not what you say, but it's how you say it!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:

I totally agree with your analogy. This is similar to my experience with teaching. I feel that I gained a broader understanding of the Kata and to be honest the art itself when I started teaching.

Needing to explain the techniques to students more or less turned on the light bulb. Things that I only had a mild understanding suddenly became clearer. Being forced to really think about something so you can put it into terms that a novice can understand actually taught me what I only though I understood before.

I can understand where you are coming from in terms of needing to write something so that everyone can understand what you are trying to explain.

Great example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: