Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combat Karate, Kenpo,Jujitsu, and Boxing

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Formulation Of Self-defense Techniques Reply with quote

The developement of realistic/combat effective self-defense techniques is one of the most important aspects of creating a new system or keeping an exsisting system modern. This process is not overly difficult, but does take some thought and planning. There is a definite procedure to developing these techniques. Because I am a student of Grandmaster Kemp, and believe in his philosophy, which was teaching students the procedure to develope self-defense, as well as techniques. This means that "Doc"(GM Kemp) taught his students the 5 essential elements of defense along with the sound techniques and tactics, based on the physical and psychological aspects of combat. I will discuss those 5 elements that I feel should be considered when developing self-defense techniques.

Environmental Factors: One of the first things that should be taught to a student is to pay attention to their environment. Most assaults can be avoided before they even begin, if you just know what to look for. Besides from that, knowing your environment can have a great influence on what techniques are safe to try. I am a grappler by nature, and I remember the first time my sensei took me out to the alley behind our dojo for a grappling session (I was wearing a T-shirt). It was an eye opening experience, that I now share with my students. Trying to kick on ice, sand, or mud can be difficult; and many students are unprepared for this. What I am trying to say is that incorperating terrain training into your self-defense is very important.

Distance: When we in my system talk about distance in combat, we refer to two main themes: Reactionary Distanceand Relative Distance.
Reactionary distance refers to the distance needed to appropriately respond to a threat. This is largely dependent on your reaction speed, which is made up of three elements: 1) perceptual speed- how fast your recognize the threat. 2) mental speed-how fast you analyze the threat, develope your options and select a response. 3) Physical speed- how fast your body puts your selection into action. So obviously the more distance you have when an attack starts (in most cases), the more time you have to defend. Now obviously most assaults occur in close quarters, so the wise instructor helps his students develope their reactionary skills (ie speed).
Relative distance is the space create after you block,parry,evade the inital attack of your target. Depending on what response you intend, you may want a great relative distance or a small one. If you are planning to disengage, then the more distance the better. If you are going to engage the target, then creating smaller distance is usually better, as if increases the opportunity for you to counter attack, and makes it harrder for your target to recover from his intital attack.

Distrationary Opportunities: This element is often overlooked as part of environmental factors, but I contend that it is seperate. Distractions can be both a benifit and a obsticle to you or your target. Your target can use distractions to set up an attack (an armed robber asking for the time as they approach can take you off gaurd). Defenders can use distractions to help them engage or disengage a target (looking over the robbers shoulder as if seeing someone, just before executing a palm-heel to his chin takes him off gaurd). Distractionary windows and techniques can be added to your self-defense training. For some ideas pm me. I also try to add distractions into sparring for my advanced belts. Again if you need ideas, let me know.

Total Commitment in Application of Technique: My sensei use to say "He who hesitates will meditate in the horizontal position". I think he borrowed this from GM Parker, but it is true. You must show absolute resolve in your action. If uncommitted, your action will be slow and unsure. As you read this you are probably saying "how can I teach this to my students?" The answer is simple. First, train in a dynamic fashion. This means as your student gets better at doing a skill or set of skills (say a outward knifehand block to a rounghouse punch, and a side kick to the ribs or knee), then increase the speed and accuracy of the attack. At black belt a student should not be doing static drills unless teaching a lower belt student a skill. Dynamic training makes a student less doubtful of their skill, increased confidence makes commitment possible. Second, the application of "Hicks Law" must be taken into affect. Hick's Law states that the more techniques a student must choose from, the slower their response will be. In other words self-defense techniques should be interchangeable, and basic. Those of you with 10 ways to deal with a knife lunge, probably only need 2 or 3 (the other 7 or 8 will probably get your student stabbed). Finally, teaching students the "old way" with repatation is also the key. Doing a skill over and over until it is second nature, makes it difficult for hesitation. I had a student who trained with me for several years. She was assaulted in her home, and not only survived, but devistated the attacker to the point that he had to spend weveral days in the hospital. She told me that didn't get scared until after she had already struck his testicles and palm-heeled his chin, making him bite the tip of his tounge off! By then he was in no shape to fight, and she ran to the neighbors called the police and he was arrested crawling down her sidewalk!

Defense Procedure: This is the final stage of developement, and covers actual techniques used. "Doc" called this the "Three Blow Rule" and is as follows:

STUN: Block, parry and or evade the inital attack. Now many of you are thinking "there is no stun". If you think this then I would suggest you reconsider how you are training. In my systems blocks and parries are done with two intentions. 1) destroy or disable the attacking appendage or 2) cause balance disruption. And evasion is taught as a tactic to slow or stopp momentum. All of these are considered stunning (stopping a targets action). Practice your blocks to cause "trembling shock" to the attacking limb, and you will see the stun effect on your targets face!

Stagger: After stopping the inital attack, your next technique(s) should do one of the following: Freeze the target with pain, or disrupt and control his balance.

Kill:Don't get excited! What I mean by this is kill the fight. Not every assault requires a deadly force response, but every assault must be ended in such a way that the target is either incapacitated, flees or is otherwise unable/unwilling to continue. I am being long winded here, but later I will go into greater detail about the Three blow rule.

As I stated earlier, creating self-defense techniques is the "bread and butter" of the combat martial arts. Instructors and students benifit from the use of these principles I have described. Check them out, practice your systems techniques using these guidelines, and you may begin to understand why you do some of the things you do.
[/b]

K.Mabon
United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More great information. I like the approach that you are taking here. I especially agree with the idea of increasing the dynamic interactions of training as studetns increase in skill level. Thank you for sharing.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combat Karate, Kenpo,Jujitsu, and Boxing

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

K.Mabon
United States Combat Martial Arts Association International
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: