Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Masuatsu Oyama?...
There is some pretty convincing evidence (as well as a myriad of witnesses) whom saw the man strike down bulls with single strikes. I do believe they have thicker skulls than primates.

I believe one hit kills are possible, though I have never seen it.
I have however seen a single knee to the head cause a skull fracture, internal bruising of the brain as well as fluid seepage from in, to outside of the skull.
The fellow came and apologised to my family member weeks after starting the fight (and having it ended on his behalf), and told us the story of his bout in hospital. The whole thing has seriously made me think twice about hitting anyone with considerable power unless really needed....

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are 30 or so places on the body that could cause a knockout or death, is it possible I may accidentally run into one of these on accident and really hurt myself?? More so wouldn't this be accidentally prove repeatedly with contact sports like football and hockey?? it just doesn't make since and has never been proven. If there were 30 off buttons on the body I think we would all be doing this wouldn't we?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:
There is some pretty convincing evidence (as well as a myriad of witnesses) whom saw the man strike down bulls with single strikes. I do believe they have thicker skulls than primates.

Yes, but he struck the bull in the spot on the front of the head where the skull is the weakest. Incedentally, that is the spot where butchers shoot the cows to put them down prior to butchering, and all that is used is a .22 round. More admirable a feat than killing the bull is just getting in front of it first. You only really get one chance to miss.

I'm not saying I could do it, though, because I probably don't punch as hard as Oyama did. I know I can't do as many pushups as he did, either.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
yamesu wrote:

Yes, but he struck the bull in the spot on the front of the head where the skull is the weakest. Incedentally, that is the spot where butchers shoot the cows to put them down prior to butchering, and all that is used is a .22 round. More admirable a feat than killing the bull is just getting in front of it first. You only really get one chance to miss.

I'm not saying I could do it, though, because I probably don't punch as hard as Oyama did. I know I can't do as many pushups as he did, either.

I think it was quote a feat really, though agreed there are weaker points on a bulls skull (over in Australia I've heard they use large nailguns to to do the job).
I have also read (but cannot confirm) that Mas Oyama did recieve a goring once from trying this out, and did spend a stint confined to a hospital bed.... Ouchies.
I think he was just a little tougher than an average man!

I still think there is the chance of one hit kills though... while the probability may be low, its still a possibility.
In Kyokushin tournaments I have seen competitors hit in the throat and carried out on a stretcher... Im sure there is a fine line there between intensive care and death!

OSU!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that there are ways to strike someone once, and they could perish. That strike to the throat is an example of one possibility. But, as you noticed, even hitting a vital point like that, there was still an uncertainty of causing death. It just isn't a guarantee.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there is no certainty what-so-ever (much like every other area of the Martial Arts really...), just pointing out is is a possibility.

What I dont think has much merit is the old school thought that "a knuckle punch must land on the liver during the hour of the dragon..."

If one hits hard enough, and the circumstances are right, then an appropriate amount of damage will be inflicted - its all just physics really.

OSU.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamesu wrote:
I agree there is no certainty what-so-ever (much like every other area of the Martial Arts really...), just pointing out is is a possibility.

What I dont think has much merit is the old school thought that "a knuckle punch must land on the liver during the hour of the dragon..."

If one hits hard enough, and the circumstances are right, then an appropriate amount of damage will be inflicted - its all just physics really.

OSU.
To echo that thought, I'd also say that the "one hit wonder" is the exception that proves the rule.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to steal shamelessly. Ian Abernathy had his pod cast on pressure points this month. In it he said, after denying and divorcing any mysticsm from the art and down to pure medical science, knowing where to hit is no substitute for knowing how to hit(As in hard).

Knowing a particular location to hit helps, but it isn't a cure all. You don't blast a Tiger tank in the frontal armor. You don't punch people in the forehead.

However, you don't blast that Tiger tank anywhere with a .30 cal rifle. You use a British 17 pounder. Knowing how to hit means hitting hard. So, just like in muscle cars how there is no substitute for square inches except more square inches, there is no substitute for blunt trauma in a fight except more blunt trauma.

Forget secret methods and arcane text on how to kill with a touch. Build sound technique and be always able to apply them. If you want one shot kills, up grade to firearms of a sufficient caliber.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that could have been said much better.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
Time to steal shamelessly. Ian Abernathy had his pod cast on pressure points this month. In it he said, after denying and divorcing any mysticsm from the art and down to pure medical science, knowing where to hit is no substitute for knowing how to hit(As in hard).

Knowing a particular location to hit helps, but it isn't a cure all. You don't blast a Tiger tank in the frontal armor. You don't punch people in the forehead.

However, you don't blast that Tiger tank anywhere with a .30 cal rifle. You use a British 17 pounder. Knowing how to hit means hitting hard. So, just like in muscle cars how there is no substitute for square inches except more square inches, there is no substitute for blunt trauma in a fight except more blunt trauma.

Forget secret methods and arcane text on how to kill with a touch. Build sound technique and be always able to apply them. If you want one shot kills, up grade to firearms of a sufficient caliber.

Nice post I would like to add one thing though, Mutliple hits in a short space of time can be a substitute for being able to hit very hard. Repeated shocks where no recovery time has been given is just as effective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: