Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - If you read the list of "JKD things" that Ken posted - the list by Guro Inosanto, then you'll see that ...

"JKD is a byproduct of Jun Fan Gung Fu… without Jun Fan Gung Fu there is no JKD"

So - what exactly does Jun Fan Gung Fu entail? Well - here are some of the fundementals...

1. The Bi-Jong stance - referred to by Sijo Lee as the "Small Phasic Bent Knee" position
2. The strong side forward - interception tools, the things we engage with, are speed & accuracy based i.e groing shots, eye-jabs - these require superior timing, coordination etc - this is one reason we put our strongest, most coordinated side forward.
3. Emphasis on footwork & mobility rather than posed stances
4. Economy of motion - minimal or no chambering of strikes, elimination of preparatory motion.
5. An understanding of the attributes required for success, things like timing, cadence, speed, efficiency over actual technique selection.
6. An emphasis on training on equipment & on contact sparring rather than hitting the air & non-contact sparring. (We do NO non contact sparring).

The actual technical tools used come primarily from Wing Chun, Western Boxing, and Fencing, with other stuff coming in also e.g. other kung fu methods, Savate etc.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good Yoda. I can see that you have done your homework.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Yes - I've done my homework. I've been actively training in JKD for the last 15 years - and have been qualified to teach it for the last 5 (but actually teaching it for the last 10!)

Still lots of homework to do though - it's all about learning rather than "knowing".

Here's a good passage that someone wrote recently...

"Knowledge is a result...a product if you will. Learning is a process...ongoing. Knowledge states 'I know' and the search for more understanding ends. Learning states 'I don't know' and allows understanding to continue.

Don't stagnate. 'I know' is stagnation.

Learning is water. Knowledge is ice. Reality is everchanging. Knowledge is an attempt to freeze that reality...keep it from moving, progressing and evolving. "

http://www.jkdc.co.uk / http://www.docepares.co.uk

[ This Message was edited by: YODA on 2002-02-03 12:42 ]

Trojin
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda, you definately have your head switched on right, and i can tell that you are a very philosophical person, which is fantastic because it opens up your eyes to the world.

As of 9 years old I studied Taekwondo for 4 years, and received my black belt (greatest moment of my life). I decided to quit 4 years ago which was the worst decision of my life. However, i have worked hard to remain supple, yet strong, and over the past month have immersed myself in Bruce Lee's teachings.

I feel like his thoughts (and unbelievable martial arts talent), has proved that hard work can bring great things to anyone.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: