Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health, Training and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
When you are strength training, if you are doing the big barbell exercises like squat, deadlift, power clean, snatch, bench press and press, you will get flexible through the whole range of motion so long as you are doing the exercises correctly.

However, if you want to get more flexible, for kicking high, then you will likely have to spend time stretching independent of lifting weights, and probably after your strength training session.

I'm no body builder, if anything I'm trying to be proportionally stronger, pliable, fast and agile.

I also use thick rubber bands for resistance training.

Also use other bits and pieces of training paraphernalia including outdoor stair sprinting in subways Ect.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkdaggy wrote:
I have been working hard over the last year to improve my flexibility, spending at least 20 minutes six days per week stretching on judo mats in my basement. My goal is to get my side kick higher for kata. While I am no where near doing a full split, I have improved greatly. I've pretty much been doing a general stretching routine and add three sets of side split holds for a minute or so.

In addition, I have continued to lift weights - something I started when I was about 13 years old. My main lifts are bench press, front squats, weighted pull ups, and standing military press. I usually weight train 3-4 days per week, stretch 6 days per week, and get to the dojo at least 3 days...plus 5 or 6 days of meditation for 20 minutes or so. Trying to keep things as holistic as possible.

I do not feel my weight training is hampering my flexibility at all. Also, I believe the stretching is having a positive impact on my strength training, so I'm going to stick to my current plan, although I will continue to tinker to keep the muscles guessing.
That's great mkdaggy, learn all you can and apply what you learn, just takes time and patience, you will get to where you want to be.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

More than a year later and have gained more strength and flexibility due to using weights.

Have had to modify my weight flexibility training in a few ways, firstly, buy by saying that my calves have grown bigger and due to that, it is difficult to stap the weights on, secondly because of my legs becoming stronger I have upped the amount on weights to 14 kilos per leg and using weight bags, held to my calves using bungie cords.

Also using strap and pulley machines attached to weights at the gym, including a few different stretching machines there as well.

Combined with thin and thick rubber bands, at this junction,
now have alot of variable options to use at my training sessions to gain strength and flexibility every day of the week.

Should also mention that mixing the stretching with core exercises works wonders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health, Training and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: