Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Is Ground Fighting against muitiple opponents better then Stand Up fighting?
Stand Up Fighting is better!
96%
 96%  [ 29 ]
Ground Fighting all the way!
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

Aces Red
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo (Orange Belt), Thai-Ju-Jitsu (Unranked), Tang Soo Do (Yellow)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Gang Fight: Ground Grappling Reply with quote

When you are in a street fight against lets say 2-3 opponents, what are some ground grappling
techniques used to fight against multiple enemies? I've heard its better to use ground fighting
techniques then stand up attacks, but is this true?

ShotokanSam
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you have 6 arms otherwise the others can kick, punch etc. while you dealing with one on the floor.

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shootfighting, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to the ground willingly against multiple opponents usually isn't a great idea. If you can position yourself so that you take one guy down and the others are behind him, you could get to kneeride on him, allowing you to stand up fairly easily if need be, drop shots on the guy you're on, and deliver some kind of verbal threat/warning to the others if you think they're not fully committed to the fight and might withdraw after seeing what you did to their friend. If you unwillingly go to the ground and it's a fairly chaotic situation you might be able to tie up one guy's limbs from the guard, maybe choke him out, then use him as a kind of shield, but even then I would think that's something more suited to a situation where you ended up on the ground against your will. To be honest there's not really anything that works that well against multiple opponents and any ground fighting techniques you use, as with standup, would need to be very quick manuvers that don't leave you vulnerable for too long.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any self defense situation, the only type of "ground fighting" you should be doing is the kind that allows you to get into a position of advantage and return to your feet ASAP.

Self defense situations are not has clean cut as most people make out. You cant really tell weather you are involved in a 1-on-1, multiple attacker, weapon, situation until its over. For a short time you might be fighting off 1 guy, but there is a good chance he has friends, so if you assume he doesnt and take him to the ground, then you run into problems when his friends come and start stomping you.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much of anything that works well when fighting 2-3 other people, standing or grappling. The likelihood of knocking someone out with one punch is slim, and you will most likely by struck by all of them at once, or close to it. The same can happen when on the ground. Now, with that said, it is still good to know how to fight standing and grappling, should you need to do either.

A_Train
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwon-do

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never want to fight more than one person, even if I had grappling skills.
I figure going to the ground would be a poo ridea if there were buddies around to begin to stomp at you, but even standing up they can rush you and bring you to the ground quickly enough.
Don't fight!

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

KNOCKuOUT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kenpo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little over a year ago I was jumped by 8 guys. I got the whole nine yards...sucker punched, knock to the ground..whatever. This was a little before I started seriously training in martial arts, and I instinctively knew as soon as I was knocked down to GET BACK UP! I learned the hard way. It was because of that, that I stepped my training up. I know feel more confident walking around bad towns and streets, and maybe people can sense that(at least I hope they can!) Anyhow, sry to go off topic, standing up is your best chance for survival.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no magic formula agains multiple oponents. Grapplin is useful to get on your feet , striking is good to survive on your feet.
Talkin crap about grappling , saying that ground skills are useless against many guys is an argument used against grappling by fanatic strikers. Grappling and striking are two faces of the same coin : Fight.
The only way to fight more than 2 guys and win is to be a heavy muscled guy with much technique. If you weight 300 lbs with the fight knowledge of fedor , you may win.
Lets be realistic.....and accept our limitations. 99 % of martial artist can not fight more than 2 guys (and fight 2 guys may be tough).
A guy with outstanding training , is a guy , one guy.
I fought once against 5 untrained guys. My MA skills helped me to stay alive , not to win.

Last edited by Rainbow_Warrior on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5- not good odds. If you have more than one you just gotta hope that they are all shabby fighters...

~Theodore Roosevelt

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing up because then you can run might be considered cowardly but you are still alive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: