Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

devilthaiboxer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: thai boxing ,shukokai karate ,okinawan kobudo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Gcse martial arts Reply with quote

In my GCSEs next year at high school i have to teach a sport or physical activitie to a group of children about 11 - 13 years old .I want to teach them either muay thai or karate .I will have 5 or 6 one hour lessons with them.I was just wondering which art would you in YOUR opinion would be better to teach and also what i could teach them e.g basics then a kata.thank y'all

King of Fighters
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think muay thai because it is fairly simple and easy to learn. Or maybe Karate because you could do some fancy kicks and impress them all.

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do something more along the lines of a basic self defense course; my Sensei goes to schools all over the city and does that. He talks about other aspects of self defense (eg. awareness, prevention, avoidance, etc) as well as teaching the actual techniques.

-Lao-Tse

wcnavstar
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu/ Wing Chun

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that Muay Thai is much more simple, yet Karate has more to offer along the lines of fun for the kids and the chance for further advancment is always exciting for younger martial artists. However if you are instructing a rowdy bunch then Muay Thai could be more satisfying. Though the requirment for Muay Thai could be a bit taxing on the young bones of american teens.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest karate. Muay Thai is generally viewed as something brutal in which you bloody your opponent.

Maybe Muay Thai isn't as brutal as I think it is. All I know of Muay Thai is what I see on ESPN 2, so you can see where I'm coming from. *shudders*

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other sempai where I train did a GCSE in PE this year and had to do a demo of a sport so he chose karate. He got the equivalent mark to an A simply because the mark sheet only really asked for him to be able to do basic punches and blocks, some kicks and a few katas. It was written for about orange belt (2nd in our style) level and hes got his brown belt.

If your going to tech the kids I would with karate for the same reasons monkeygirl sugests, but make sure you take them through some stretching, most people at my school, even the supposed sporty ones, can barely even touch their toes.

If you haven't already I would suggest you ask your instructor if you could do some sempai'ing so that you not as nervous when you do the demo:)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: