Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Combative Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27542
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Gene LeBell reflects on 50 years of MMA Reply with quote

Gene LeBell is a legend in the Martial Arts community, and has been involved with mixed style competition long before it was popularized by the UFC. It would be amazing to sit and listen to this man tell his stories: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/440075/Gene-LeBell-reflects-on-50-years-of-mixed-rules-fighting/
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Posts: 1165
Location: Tennessee
Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His stories are amazing. I had the honor several years ago to train with him for a weekend and the stories and training where fantastic. I had a great interview on The Joe Rogan Experience podcast this past Monday. He's definitely one of a kind and I'll never forget the experience of that weekend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14183
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had a great amount of respect for Mr. LeBell and what he's given and added to the MA, and not just MMA. He's a lot to pass on to everyone who's will to drop their pride and willing to learn.

Congrats on your 50 years in the MA!!



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Posts: 1165
Location: Tennessee
Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine too many people so full of their selves that they wouldn't want to spend at least a weekend training with a legend in the martial arts. He preaches cross training in every style one has access to. He was light years ahead of most in the martial arts when he was in his prime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27542
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

""If you're going to be a martial artist, don't criticize, learn." -- Gene LeBell

Those are good words to practice and live by in the MAs.

Rusty, those are good points. We should take advantage of these opportunities, while we still can.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 1660
Location: Dallas, TX
Styles: Shorin Ryu, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Mantis, Schola Saint George (Fiorian sword fighting)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
""If you're going to be a martial artist, don't criticize, learn." -- Gene LeBell

Those are good words to practice and live by in the MAs.

Rusty, those are good points. We should take advantage of these opportunities, while we still can.
Hands down my favorite quote from the whole video. It really says it all for me.
_________________
Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14183
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
""If you're going to be a martial artist, don't criticize, learn." -- Gene LeBell

Those are good words to practice and live by in the MAs.

Rusty, those are good points. We should take advantage of these opportunities, while we still can.
Hands down my favorite quote from the whole video. It really says it all for me.

What Mr. LeBell speaks about is solid, however, not all MAists are willing to not criticize, for whatever the reason(s). Sad, but true.



_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Posts: 1660
Location: Dallas, TX
Styles: Shorin Ryu, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Mantis, Schola Saint George (Fiorian sword fighting)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Zaine wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
""If you're going to be a martial artist, don't criticize, learn." -- Gene LeBell

Those are good words to practice and live by in the MAs.

Rusty, those are good points. We should take advantage of these opportunities, while we still can.
Hands down my favorite quote from the whole video. It really says it all for me.

What Mr. LeBell speaks about is solid, however, not all MAists are willing to not criticize, for whatever the reason(s). Sad, but true.


As a teacher I had likes to say "They're still on the journey to be a Martial Artist, just like you and me. We're just a little further down the road."
_________________
Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27542
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Zaine wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
""If you're going to be a martial artist, don't criticize, learn." -- Gene LeBell

Those are good words to practice and live by in the MAs.

Rusty, those are good points. We should take advantage of these opportunities, while we still can.
Hands down my favorite quote from the whole video. It really says it all for me.

What Mr. LeBell speaks about is solid, however, not all MAists are willing to not criticize, for whatever the reason(s). Sad, but true.


As a teacher I had likes to say "They're still on the journey to be a Martial Artist, just like you and me. We're just a little further down the road."
I like that.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14183
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Zaine wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Zaine wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
""If you're going to be a martial artist, don't criticize, learn." -- Gene LeBell

Those are good words to practice and live by in the MAs.

Rusty, those are good points. We should take advantage of these opportunities, while we still can.
Hands down my favorite quote from the whole video. It really says it all for me.

What Mr. LeBell speaks about is solid, however, not all MAists are willing to not criticize, for whatever the reason(s). Sad, but true.


As a teacher I had likes to say "They're still on the journey to be a Martial Artist, just like you and me. We're just a little further down the road."
I like that.

I like that, too!!


_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Combative Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >