Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say this with much confidence, this thread boils down to...

Spencer Johnson, M.D. [Look up the name; you'll get my meaning then]

Last edited by sensei8 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
The internet does not help, but I believe it has more to do with the UFC. My dojo is on a US Army installation, and most of the soldiers want to train in MMA versus traditional MA for a few reasons (and reasons why MMA is currently more popular):

1 - They want instantaneous skills. MMA training (boxing, wrestling, grappling) gives skills quicker than traditional MA with kata and bunkai (that does not mean MMA gives GOOD skills quicker, but it gives skills that can be put to the test quickly).

2 - UFC fighters are cool (to the young crowd). They are exceptional athletes, in great shape, come out to their own music, and make money. This appeals to young adults.

3 - In the ring, MMA has proven to be more effective than traditional MA. In a life or death situation, I would argue otherwise, but no media attention goes to the life or death situations...everything is about the ring.

Now, with the increasing popularity of shows like Cobra Kai, Into the Badlands, Daredevil, and Iron Fist, traditional MA might make somewhat of a come back, but only time will tell.

I think these things tend to ebb and flow. Yes, UFC is popular, and I don't think that will change anytime soon. But I think that after some more years of UFC exposure, I think it might actually help the growth of other more traditional styles. There have been quite a few UFC competitors over the course of its history that have had roots in traditional styles, and I some are still that way. I think this will help.

I also think that as popular as MMA is, its not for everyone. Many that watch it really have no desire to compete. Those that do want to train, will try it out. Of those, some will learn its not for them, but that the Martial Arts are, and I think they will seek out other methods of training. The numbers may be lower, but I think many traditional stylists agree that they want to be selective about their student body, anyway.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every MA has one undeniable thing in common...

Human beings are required!!

The drawback to that one undeniable thing is that human beings are flawed.

My point, if I even have one, is that traditional MA, or any other MA, traditional or not, don't need the help from UFC or the like because effective styles of the MA, are flawed to the nth degree because human beings are, well, flawed.

Nonetheless, what's even more amazing is that flawed human beings founded effective styles of the MA so that flawed practitioners of said effective MA can execute effectively upon other unexpected flawed human beings.

Oh here's my point...human beings, as flawed as they are, are exceptionally adaptable to the nth degree, and they've the built in internal/outwardly inertia to buck against the perceived impossible to exceed expectations, no matter the venue.

They just need the chance!!

Imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are celebrities of all kinds today with online videos MA no exception, some are just popularity figures where others are the real McCoy, gonna take some practice to differentiate the two.

We are all now available to be exposed to good and bad MA just a lot more of it than ever before, suggest trying to decern the differences between them.

MA still takes practice with a partner cooperative or competative no video can replace that.

Therefore make the most of the material at hand from our information age and add personal development and experiences to them with plenty of practice with likewise individuals such as yourself.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMA it is possible to practice for all of one's life and get better at it however with MAA burnout and peaking out is a higher probability than not, alot like condensing one's efforts on the fast track, than slowly perfecting them over the long run; of course there is always the middle of the road approach, that is neither here nor there.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding MMA, it has lost some popularity. I mean in mid-2000s it was the IT thing around but you have to understand that most folks practicing martial arts are not going to be super rich because Brazilian Jujitsu and Thai Boxing are on the expensive side and folks that become MMA fighters are folks who are already a master in a discipline like wrestling and so the MMA gym owners will take a cut of pay as oppose to charging them a monthly fee.

What hurt martial arts business is not MMA but the "McDojo" that has really diminished the reputation of martial arts. MMA just came at a time when people felt discontent with the martial arts and it gave them an alternative. But people still value martial arts in a single form. Some of the best fighters in the world in the MMA are specializers.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generational lose of knowledge in the internet age; IMHO on the contrary is happening, the age of the internet has changed MA for the better, as we are all more informed and equippped to tackle challenges than ever before.

Personally integrating alot of time in to conditioning my body, as have experienced in the past that having ma skills is not enough, the internet has plenty of ideas and options to add to my personal growth in this respect.

Finding the time to sift through the immense amount of information on the internet for most is not feasible but as for me, luckily at present, time is on my side.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainstream media and fake news frustrates me no end, but in MA
I think that most of the charlatans are easier to spot, Well I like to think they are. Ashida Kim, Frank Dux etc.........

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Bruce Lee that pointed out that there is alot of mess in the martial art world that needs cleaning up (before the internet came to be) as, being a lover of the truth is a step in the right direction.

Let's face it, there are many skills to acquire to be a martial artist, as some will gain a high rank that lack coordination and talent, just to name a few attributes and believe that they have the same ability as those that are truly coordinated and talented, that are so deluded that they post themselves on the internet.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At fast forward in the matrix ... perhaps in the future... martial arts will be learned like this:

I know Kung Fu

https://youtu.be/12u1nA7bXzc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: