Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

K4j4 S1n1s
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello forum

I have a problem in my BJJ class. I am not that experienced yet and keep getting caught in the same move. When I get put in the guard I can do ok and sometimes pass the guard but some people grab inside my lapel with a cross grip. For example they grab inside my right lapel with their right hand. when this happens I always end up getting choked by them getting the other hand on the other lapel. What can I do to stop this from happening. I have tried what I have been told to do which is keep their hands in control by grabbing their biceps but then I can't pass the guard. I would be very greatful for any advice on this.

K4J4

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things you may have already heard -

Make sure you sit back in your base to avoid offering the choke.

Put your chin down - it stops knockouts and blocks chokes.

When the first hand sinks in lets say it's their right - overhook it with your left , wrapping your arm around and pressure on the area just before their elbow with the the bone in your forearm from below while trapping their hand in your armpit. You will rarely get a finisher off this but it keeps them honest.

Shonie Carter's choke escape guidelines -
-clear the airway (Lower the chin, spread the gi , turn into the choke etc.)
-come to center( find where you've been pulled off balance and correct it)
-follow the path of least resistance(if you poke around there is usually a little gap to work on somewhwere no matter how small)

Most important-don't panic! you probably have more time than you think and relaxing will make you more efficient in using the air you do have.

[ This Message was edited by: Punchdrunk on 2002-06-23 10:46 ]

K4j4 S1n1s
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Punchdrunk. Just to clarify... I wrap my arm around theirs in which direction? If I am wrapping my right arm around their left do I go clockwise or the opposite?

K4J4

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not as clear with that as I should have been.

-You are going to start with your right coming from below or the inside of their left or choking hand
-In a "wax off" motion, you are going to wrap that right hand and arm over their left moving from the inside out and over- I've never been good with the clock wise thing but I believe you would call it counter clockwise.

-you should wind up with their hand in your arm pit, your forearm under theirs just below the elbow and if you can put control their left upper arm with your left and lock your right hand on to your left arm you have a very solid joint lock pressuring their elbow.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchdrunk, nice technique, never seen it before, I'll give it a go tonight.

If somone grabs my lapel I generally grab my gi above their hand, this is an effective counter for them choking you. So if someone grabs the right hand side of my lapel with their right hand, I grab my right hand side of the lapel with my left hand above their hand.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sit back too far though - you don't want to give him a chest on chest sweep or kimura oppurtunity.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done little BJJ but I had a real good teacher. I doubt this is allowed in comp. but we pinched the other guys tricep. LOL. Sounds stupid and not realy fancy but it hurts like heck. Also sort of weakens the guys arms. LOL.

Don't be in such a rush to pass the guard either. The mount is great but getting there can cost you. Use your weight and gravety to wear them down some then pass the guard later.

K4j4 S1n1s
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Use your weight and gravety

I don't have any! Well not that you would notice.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume your fighting people your own size. So it really should not matter.

striking_cobra
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung ling, kung fu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what happens when you assume...

our teacher makes everyone fight everyone...(ie the 110 pound girls do get matched up with the 250 lb guys) if they ever have to use their skills in a real situation, it probably won't be against someone as small as they are...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: