Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Melau
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu, Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Getting enough training as a trainer Reply with quote

As someone who has done karate for nearly 25 years, you get a naturally progression to the stage of an 'advanced student' of your art. We all start for our own reasons, but stay for the love of the sport, the training and often the comradery. But the more you learn, the more you start to teach. Eventually you seem to reach a stage where you teach more than you are able to train.

How do you deal with it / solve it for yourselves? How do you make sure you keep up on your own training?

Gichin Funakoshi

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling with this one myself having just set up my own school. The way I'm managing at the moment is forcing myself to have a dedicated hour per week just for my own training. This is in addition to making the effort to visit other schools for training. Not as much as I'd like to do but at least its something.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic' thanks for starting it Melau!!

May empty chairs sit around the Shindokan table, with both Soke and Dai-Soe having passed away, as well as many of the original hierarchy, with ranks ranging from Nanadan-Judan; these are all missed each and everyday. As a Kudan, within the Shindokan circle, I've not many, if any, that can assist me in my growing and learning in Shindokan...I'm the highest ranked!!

We all struggled to make end meet when Soke and Dai-Soke passed away. We had each other, and that had to meet expectations, as limited as they seemed. Dai-Soke's teaching methodology was Piece-Meal, giving us just enough to wet our appetites for what was to come, and not giving us so much as though we assume anything, as any student tends to.

My training now is a lonely search for that which once was, and I never come close to that which I'm searching and longing for. Yes, I attend and run seminars because that's what I do...I teach...in short, I do much more teaching than I do learning.

I seek out for that which can and will improve my MA betterment, and I search outside of the Shindokan circle.

Video learning turns me off, therefore I will not partake of that venue!! What part of Shu Ha Ri am I in, if in any shape whatsoever?? My MA is starving to learn and improve!!

I'm a teacher of the MA who is crying out to learn!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: