Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Getting into karate as a fair popping/liquid/robot dancer Reply with quote

So I recently became interested in karate and have been practicing several beginner moves I found on Youtube (this video specifically, along with others by the same author: https://youtu.be/T4Y9iVCEthU).

I have several questions, as I don't want to learn improper form.

Excluding a dojo/teacher (which I plan to invest in), how far can you get at self-taught karate with no teacher present, using books/Youtube/mirrors, etc?

I have 5 years of hip-hop (robot, poppjng, liquid) experience as a hobby I adore. When I do my basic hits/blocks, how tense am I suppsed to be? Should I go from completely relaxed to full on tensed (as I find myself incorporating several elements/mechanics of popping in my karate technique, whether or not this is a good thing)

And third, when I practice karate, can I do so to music?

I realize to most that it might sound that I am attempting to "dance" karate, but I'm just trying to see the difference beteeen popping and karate. As popping is all I know, I automatically use several elements in my basic (basic basic) karate blocks/strikes, and I would like to know if, by doing so, I'm completely "botching" the idea/form of karate in the process. Any help, recommendation on how relaxed/tense I should be, or answers to my questions by you awesome people would be really helpful.

Thank you!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Excluding a dojo/teacher (which I plan to invest in), how far can you get at self-taught karate with no teacher present, using books/Youtube/mirrors, etc?

You can get as far as yourself. Things can be learned through books/YouTube/ mirrors and the like, however, without a qualified instructor many things are going to be quite limited. Feedback and corrections from a qualified instructor are invaluable commodities. After all, how would a student know if what they're trying to learn is being done correctly, and if things are not being done correctly, how to improve it, and to know that it's being improved on properly.

Quote:
When I do my basic hits/blocks, how tense am I suppsed to be?

You're relaxed until just a micro-second before contact with said target, and then right back to relax immediately afterwards.

Being tensed prohibits proper movement, which must be free of any restrictions whatsoever. Of course, a qualified instructor would guide through feedback and all.

Quote:
And third, when I practice karate, can I do so to music?

Yes. Especially if your training on your own somewhere else beside a dojo. Train anyway you feel fit to do so. However, trying to do any Karate movement at any time TO any music might prove to be difficult because that's just not how MA movements are.

Train hard and train well.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 5 years of dance behind you then you may be ahead of the game in areas like flexibility and stamina/fitness, great traits that you already likely have! Proper instruction is the way to go as you don't want to teach yourself bad habits or misinterpreted techniques for example. And then there is the social aspect of training at a dojo, over time the respect and relationships will deepen as you train with others, sweating together, learning and sharing together. It's a great side effect of training with others. Find the right dojo for you and go for it!

Journyman74
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: KARATE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the key advantage you have with a dance background is ability to pick up the different steps and memorizing the sequence as you would in dance. Remember you are executing the techniques as if you are really attacking the opponent. Very simlar to Shadow boxing or practing a basketball drill(difference is this is COMBAT and more breakdown of techniques). The relax vs tense thing depends on the Karate style itself as there are a plethora of Karate styles with different emphasis. The link you posted appears to be of Shito Ryu or Wado (anyone correct me here if Im wrong) which are both excellent regardless

There are some quality home study programs of different styles (legit styles with legit instructors) if you are interested. With the COVID thing more and more schools are offering online/home study so nothing to be shamed of because any training is better than no training IMO.

The music thing... well traditionally dojos train with no music because we are focused on visualizing the technique, opponent, the transition to technique etc..
I tried doing Kata before with music playing but it was just silly to me after a while and wasnt focusing. A good example is try to imagine music being played when a golfer if about to take his shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: