Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

pugno
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Getting Started Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking to get started in karate, and have been considering a place that practices Ryukyu Kempo (Classical Okinawan karate). I have corresponded with the instructor, and will be visiting the school soon to watch a class.

In the meantime, I have been trying to read up on this style, but there does not seem to be much literature on this style of karate. I would be interested to hear if there are others practicing this, and if they can share their experiences in this style, or if they have any recommendations for where I can find more information to study.

Thanks in advance.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to the other Okinawan styles it is not as widespread, but it is very likely to have a presence in the USA. There is a good book by M. Bishop which includes a section on this style and also several websites easily found with a quick search. The best source, however, is an instructor of this system.

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSU!!!
Wish I could give you some info but I would love to hear what you thought of the class
OSU!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryukyu Kempo may be a generic term, kind of like karate is pretty generic by itself. I know that Seiyu Oyata used Ryukyu Kempo as a name until several others who weren't directly nor indirectly affiliated with him started using it. He changed his organization's name to Ryu Te Renmi and trademarked it.

I think the most popular user of Ryukyu Kempo as a descriptive name is George Dillman. Many of his students/protégés use it as well. If it's a Dillman influenced system, be careful.

pugno
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, this school is based on Taika Seiyu Oyata's teachings.

I did do some internet research awhile back, and remember having some issues with the name changes, etc. I'll have to review that again. I also did read about Dillman, and did confirm with the instructor that they do not practice any "no touch knockout" methods. I was more interested in finding some books to read (I will check out Mark Bishop's book), and also in hearing from anyone who practiced this style (pros/cons).

I'm recovering from surgery, and new to MA and karate. So while I recuperate I've been trying to read up and learn as much as I can in the meanwhile. I'm hoping to learn some of the basics (footwork, maybe some kata), so I can hit the ground running when I start class.

Thanks again for the info.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the course of his lifetime, and following his death, Taika Oyata had some students break away from him, or be kicked out, for a variety of reasons. Oyata had the RyuTe name trademarked, and copyrighted all kinds of material, so most of those students had to use Ryukyu Kenpo/Kempo for the name of what they teach. Oyata taught a lot of very good material, and so do his students. Putting politics aside, there may be some variety in methodology and quality among the students who left his organization, but the core should be the same.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISREGARD...he answered my question alreeady.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained very briefly with a Sensei who was affiliated with Taika Oyata. I really liked the approach to karate. The kata were traditional, focusing on the Pinan/Heian kata at the kyu level. There were differences between the way they performed them and the mainstream way. Some minor, some larger. First time I saw them performed Oyata's way, my initial thought was "That makes so much more sense."

They kick below the waist and puch above the waist. They train higher kicks and some spin-type kicks, but as the Sensei was saying during it "for flexibility and coordination only; not for self defense." They practice basics a lot, and base self-defense techniques off of kata. They've got some standardized self defense techniques they continually practice, which are kata based. It was short, basic (in a good way), to the point, and effective.

They also do "bogu kumite" which is full-contact in kendo sparring gear. It's not required, but is available for anyone who wants to.

I'd have loved to stay with that dojo. My work hours made it impossible, and I moved away.

Keep in mind every dojo is different, even under the same system and director. It all depends on the teacher and just as importantly the students' ages and abilities. My experience with it could be the norm or the exception.

pugno
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, JR. If your experience is similar to what is practiced in the dojo I am considering, then I think it will be exactly what I'm looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: