Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hurricane-ptx
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Getting weapons to New York State Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to the forums and was wondering if anyone could help me in answeing a couple of questions that I have regarding some enforced laws in New York State.

My Kung-Fu instructor has begun teaching the three-section staff and I have been unable to have a company online ship them to the New York area due to certain laws that they must abide by. I am very confused by this, I do not see why a padded weapon would be illegal in the state. Could anyone please tell me why?

To me, this seems absurd that they won't sell you a 'chuks or three-section bo's but you can go to the local walmart and pic up shotguns.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain linked weapons, ie. the nunchacku and the three-section staff, are illegal. So you really can't bring them in legally. I'm not even sure if there is a way to get a special permit for them.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it had something to do with the misconception that 'chucks tended to be popular gang weapons back in the day and that anyone that carried them was up to no good. I'm not 100% certain though.

There's lots of weird laws out there that never have been repealed. In one of the cities I lived in, Tai Chi was technically illegal up until I believe the 80's because it was considered a form of witchcraft.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:

There's lots of weird laws out there that never have been repealed. In one of the cities I lived in, Tai Chi was technically illegal up until I believe the 80's because it was considered a form of witchcraft.

That's kind of crazy! Funny, kinda. I have seen a book of laws that have never been repealed in some cities, and they are enough to make you laugh. Most of the time, though, they aren't even dealt with.

Sensei Tom O'Brien
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Vee-Jitsu, Shotokan, Arnis, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Weapons Reply with quote

It's true. All of the tounaments in NY have eliminated nun-chaku & 3 section etc. because they have been outlawed. It's a shame because I used to compete in NY tournaments with nun-chucks. Too many punks have ruined it for us. I don't think I can advise you on how to get these weapons but 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weapons Reply with quote

Sensei Tom O'Brien wrote:
It's true. All of the tounaments in NY have eliminated nun-chaku & 3 section etc. because they have been outlawed. It's a shame because I used to compete in NY tournaments with nun-chucks. Too many punks have ruined it for us. I don't think I can advise you on how to get these weapons but 'there's more than one way to skin a cat'.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

That's too bad. I guess they should outlaw guns, too.

tkdkid39
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: tae kwon do kung fu and combat hapkido

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if u can order through your instructor. i live in ny and thats how i get my chucks or get the parts over the net and make them ur self not that hard theres info on how to make them on the net

shukokai2000
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: shukokai shito-ryu ... boxing/kick boxing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thre are no weopons in martial arts banned here in UK, it must be hard to train in Kobudo in NY

tekki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shukokai2000 wrote:
Thre are no weopons in martial arts banned here in UK, it must be hard to train in Kobudo in NY

Only the nunchaku are flat-out banned AFAIK. Everything else is legit, so long as it's being used safely and properly. The one school I have trained in in NY state which teaches kobudo does have the nunchaku and is located in a shopping center where it is easy for the public to see all the weapons, nunchaku included. On numerous occasions, I have seen law enforcement personnel go in this dojo to make small talk with the instructor and such and no problem has ever come up with the presence of the nunchaku.
I think, for the most part, the law is enforced as a practical matter in order to stop non-martial artist teenagers from getting their hands on nunchaku and menacing people on the street with them, as I have seen such kids with foam practice nunchaku get them confiscated by the police.

NY_Karatedork
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sai's are also not allowed to be shipped to NY, as well as Stars and Nunchaku's, Kamas are not allowed. I just checked out Century Fitness which is a martial arts provider I like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: