Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Gi cleaning Reply with quote

I have a question. I have taken care of my gi well. It is a 14 oz Pro Force. I wash it immediately when getting home and hang dry it after the wash. I Iron it a few days later. While the gi has stayed white I noticed that the armpits are yellowing. I do wear a shirt under it. Has anyone been successful with eliminating the yellowing? And if so, how?

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told by a dry cleaner that the yellowing is due to deodorant reacting with detergent or stuff in the water.

According to him, nothing takes it out.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As JR 137 said is the same thing i've heard, along with Sweat reacting to whatever detergent you use. As my gi around the collar has turned yellow because of it.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the same. It sounds like it is the aluminium reacting with sweat. I have seen home made remedies for this. Yes, i still want to wear deodorant. I just did not know if you knww of a way to clean it out. I am nervous with home brew remedies.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's much to do with deodorant to be honest. My white sports bras are yellowing on the elastic bands and I don't wear deodorant on my chest. I think it's more likely sweat that's the issue, if so there's not much you can do that you're not already doing. What kind of shirt do you wear under it? If it's just plain cotton, try switching to a moisture wicking material like you get with under armour and the like. The sweat dries quicker with these type of shirts.

Mo.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazzybear wrote:
I don't think it's much to do with deodorant to be honest. My white sports bras are yellowing on the elastic bands and I don't wear deodorant on my chest. I think it's more likely sweat that's the issue, if so there's not much you can do that you're not already doing. What kind of shirt do you wear under it? If it's just plain cotton, try switching to a moisture wicking material like you get with under armour and the like. The sweat dries quicker with these type of shirts.

Mo.

I wear an under armour.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a fun topic

Sweat by itself will cause yellowing. I get it on the inside of the collar on my white dress shirts. It's also on the inside collar of my gi. It just takes significantly longer to show up and it's not nearly as bad.

Armpits have different sweat glands, resulting in a different sweat composition (different chemicals in the sweat). Those react with deodorant and detergent and cause a stain that's worse and harder to get rid of.

Yellowing on the collar and places like the elastic section of a sports bra is most likely due to those areas rubbing against the body and scrubbing the sweat deeper into the fabric. If someone routinely wore deodorant on those areas I'd imagine the sweat stains would be almost as bad as armpit stains.

I think gis, particularly heavyweight gis, are more prone to the stains because of the rough texture of the canvas material.

My old Shureido K-10 never showed the stains. The initial blue tint they have is from what a dry cleaner told me was ultraviolet brighter. I guess most clothing companies use it in white cloth, but Shureido (and the others that get that blue tint after the first washing that goes away after several more washings) uses a lot more of it. Every gi I owned showed the armpit stains within a few months, and got pretty bad after a year or so of continuous wear. I wore my K-10 for about 4 years, 3-4 nights a week and never had the problem. Not sure if it was coincidence or not, but it's a big reason why I bought my Shureido K-11.

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gis and washing .... I have a story about a washing accident ...
grrr

I've been known to use 'bleach' applied directly toe h armpit area as much as the neck and cuffs to control it ... can't honestly say its a perfect answer but it does help.

Most washing powders contain various concentrations of bleaching agents to help 'whiten' your socks and shorts.
A Gi is cotton and so not any different ..bigger sure, but not any different at the end of the day.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for my next gi I will look into the K-11
What is the price point?

I might try some oxyclean directly on it for a treat. I am hesitant to use bleach because I don't want the fabric to degrade faster than normal.

I must have super sweat glands because you should see some of my undershirts. lol.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K-11 is $185 from Shureido USA. Some online places have it cheaper, but after tax (if applicable) and shipping it's about the same price. Expensive, but worth it IMO. I haven't had it long enough to say it's yellow resistant or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: