Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Gi colors Reply with quote

Most schools wear all white or all black or black top/white pants or vise versa. However I have noticed in watching a few you-tube video's many choice colors and color combinations.

I have nothing against this (and could care less what color Gi someone wears) but I'm wondering if they have meaning.

In my art you wear all white until you reach the Yudansha grades (but only when you've proven you can fight/handle yourself, some never get there) and you are able to wear a black Gi top. For us it symbolizes that the wearer has proven themselves and are worthy of the change of color. I'm wondering if red or blue or yellow or whatever color or combination means something and is earned or is just another Gi in a different color (basically the students choice). Or maybe even the instructors choice. Maybe that's their favorite color and they want to see all of their students wearing it.

Just to clarify I'm not talking about team colors for tournaments. These are colors worn in every day classes.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wear all white until shodan. After that you can wear whatever you want. Most people stick to a combination of white and black (I usually do either all black or black pants with a white top), but you can wear whatever you want. My instructor tells us in the 70s his classmates would get really into it and wear things like tie dyed gis and all denim gis trying to be unique.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly insistent on white, just because I value the symbolism of white in Japanese culture, and the original concept of the Ippon in Judo. That the Ippon represents death, and you have to be willing to accept the possibility of your own death to deliver it. I use it to reinforce the wisdom of picking your battles wisely, and also the reality that even the most absurd fight can be your last due to unintended consequences.

However, I also like to use the analogy of white being a blank canvas. That through training in karate one will find their own "colour" as it were. Their own unique expression of karate that they will craft through their own hard work.

With the above said, I do recommend the wearing of Black keikogi to my students when we have outside training sessions, or a grading where we will be having a Jissen Kumite line-up. Black is easier to get dirt and blood out of after all. However, those days are exceptions to the general rule, and are purely for practical considerations.

Edit: Hit submit instead of preview. In a karate setting, I have only seen black trousers occasionally. My own teachers were fairly insistent on white keikogi, but I believe it was more due to tradition and aesthetic notions than the philosophical ones I adhere to. Definitely had an influence on my favouring white keikogi thought.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is white.

At black belt you get a black trim on your white jacket, but the bulk of the suit is white.

White represents the emptiness that we will fill with knowledge. No matter what grade you achieve, there is still more to learn, therefore white still applies.

Interestingly in our system, being Korean and therfore slightly different culture, we have no tenth Dan rank for the same reason. A tenth Dan is considered to have achieved total mastery. As there is always room for improvement, there can never be total mastery, and therefore no tenth Dan.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White is our standard uniform for karate, and black or brown for kobudo. Upon reaching brown belt, students can wear any combination of white and black for karate training. There isn't much real special significant meaning behind it, except that the student has put in the work and dedication to reach brown belt, which isn't easy in our dojo.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It USE to be white, and nothing else per Soke!!

Years tender ones heart, and he allowed black for Dan rank holders!!

Then, shortly thereafter, Godan and above could wear a combination of white and black, but, the top had to be white!!

Then, years later, he was convinced by the then Board of Regents to allow students to train, NOT TEST, in whatever color they desired!! All Testing Candidates still MUST wear only white; no exceptions.

Shoot, I was one of the very first to show up at the Hombu in a completely blue gi...Soke and Dai-Soke just smiled, shrugged their shoulders, and shook their heads back and forth in dismay. Hehehehehehehehehehehe!! Kind of like the one I'm wearing here...

https://www.karateforums.com/shindokan-and-tkd-get-together-vt41438.html?highlight=tkd+shindokan+meet

Scroll down towards the bottom of that page.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use all white. Sensei does not like black due to fading, lint and dust.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All white or combination of white and black in Goju Class. Shorin ryu All white.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go all white regardless of rank. At my old club, we had a Black Belt Membership, which allowed us to wear black pants.

However my sensei alllows the instructors to wear a Red Gi, as to help others (guests/parents etc) to see where they are. But none of us wear one.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sensei wears white, so do I. Nothing against other colors. Just following his lead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: