Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
There are karate techniques that need to be snapped out, making a GI snap sound emphasis it.

And if ones not wearing a Gi, then what!?!?!

I USE TO, in my youthful days, wet the very ends of my Gi, and that produces that snapping sound.

Then, there's the snapping of a Gi by Rika Usami, in which I wholeheartedly believes that her techniques aren't poorly executed.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Kusotare wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
There are karate techniques that need to be snapped out, making a GI snap sound emphasis it.

I wouldn't have that as a goal if I were you.

But hey!! To each their own.
GI snapping isn't my goal, but hey if that's the way you comprehend it, that's your prerogative.

The word 'need' implies a goal - doesn't it?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kusotare wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Kusotare wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Gi snapping is an art in itself.

Not all martial artists develop this skill, adding a snap to punches, kicks and blocks.

Gi snapping techniques in karate is normal practice. for those that have not mastered this yet, what are your suggestions to help those, that haven't developed this unique skill.

Try to avoid it!

Gi snapping / popping probably means you are doing the technique poorly.

K.
Why is gi snapping wrong?

What is right for one style might be wrong for another.

In some cases - and usually when performed by karate-ka that are very good at what they do - it is OK.

But, to tailor a technique in order to make your gi snap, is likely to send you down the route of incorrect movement, particularly if you are still learning the fundamentals.

For example; a fairly ubiquitous technique in many karate styles is a front stepping lunge punch (Oizuki / Junzuki). By definition, a 'tsuki' is a thrust - like a piston. Do it correctly and there is very little sound, simply because the there is very little of the 'whiplash' effect that your limb / gi material make.

Do it poorly by 'winging' out your elbow will generate the whipping / snap effect. Great if that's what your goal is, but you are doing the technique poorly.

K.

Could not agree more.

A gi will snap with some techniques but not all. A back fist is one technique where the snap will happen because the weapon is thrown out and retracted at the same rate. this causes the Gi to snap back onto the arm thus creating the snapping sound. However other techniques would not cause the arm/leg to impact with the sleeve/pants leg and thus should not snap. Causing a snap is artificial and causes misalignment.

Making the Gi snap on every technique means you are forcing the body to be out of efficient alignment in order to create the snap. This is great if your trying to impress the judges of a tournament but has very little, if at all, benefit when it comes to actual self defense. If you practice a certain way the body will recreate this as if second nature and when you need it in a real life altercation there will be no power present or worse you will injure yourself because the joints are not aligned and thus not capable of taking the jarring effect of a full power strike on a target.

Don't practice snapping your Gi. Concentrate on the correct body mechanic's and if the technique naturally creates a snapping effect, great. If it does not don't make it happen. You are doing it improperly and other than a snappy sound for the inexperienced audience you are destroying your joints. The body is not intended to do certain things. Over time everything we do that is correct takes a toll. The things we do that are incorrect take a worse toll.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gi snapping tips for punches kicks and blocks Reply with quote

Kusotare wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Gi snapping is an art in itself.

Not all martial artists develop this skill, adding a snap to punches, kicks and blocks.

Gi snapping techniques in karate is normal practice. for those that have not mastered this yet, what are your suggestions to help those, that haven't developed this unique skill.

Try to avoid it!

Gi snapping / popping probably means you are doing the technique poorly.

K.

I'd tend to agree. Although I don't necessarily think that if you are snapping the gi that the technique is done poorly, I don't think a lack of gi popping means that the technique is incorrect or lacks power. A lot of gi popping has to do with the material the gi is made out of, how thick and heavy it is, if the gi has been ironed and starched, etc. Its kind of akin to twirling a weapon. Its looks good, and adds some flair, but does it have a purpose?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: