Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Travis2310
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Cuong Nhu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Gift for departing martial arts friend Reply with quote

I've been in martial arts for about a year, and my friend who rose through the ranks at the same time and level as I had is leaving college and going to pursue a job in China. We have been very close throughout our time and he's been a very great friend.

I want to give him something to remember me by, so I was going to give him my lower level blue belt, since we've moved up in the ranks. I wanted to give him my blue belt to remind him of where we started and how we met.

But I wasn;t sure if there was any stigma regarding giving away your belt in "Karate" culture and ethics. For example, you are never to allow your belt to touch the floor, or to wear it uneven. I wasn't sure if there was a rule against giving your belt away.

Does anyone know if this would be frowned upon?

Thanks

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the meaning between your friend and yourself is more important than anyone else's feelings about it.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gift for departing martial arts friend Reply with quote

Travis2310 wrote:
For example, you are never to allow your belt to touch the floor, or to wear it uneven. I wasn't sure if there was a rule against giving your belt away.Thanks

My belt seems to still work just fine and I've never been good about not letting it touch the ground. When I got my black belt, I decided I'd try to stick to that rule because it was kind of a big deal. My belt made it about 5 minutes without getting dropped. I don't think anyone in my circle would frown at you for giving your belt away.

Heck, your belt is technically just a visual symbol of knowledge, discipline, and whatnot being passed from one person to another. This seems like a continuation of that.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
I believe that the meaning between your friend and yourself is more important than anyone else's feelings about it.

Agreed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: