Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
No, I've never stopped learning/training in the MA, to only resume learning/training later on; in which, it'll be 53 years this October since my MA journey began.

That really is awesome!!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never "given up" on Martial Arts, but I have had life happen a couple of times where it required a bit of a hiatus from active training.

Coming back sucks, as things don't really get easier to do the older (and heavier) I get. But, it always comes back, and I learn more about what I can and can't do, and I have to adapt my training to that.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained as a child but left after reaching 5th Kyu. I returned some 26 years later. I re-joined the same club with the same instructor and I've not looked back since.

The hardest thing was walking through the dojo doors on my own but, everyone made me feel welcome and I slotted right in. I started from 9th Kyu as it was such a long gap I was essentially a beginner.

4 and a half years later and I'm now a brand new shodan and loving every minute of it. Although every now and again the thought of "where would I be now if I'd never left?" sometimes crosses my mind.

What brought me back was, I had joined an MMA class as a way of getting back in to shape. It quickly became apparent that there would be no teaching to speak of, we were left to whack a heavy bag for the duration of the class, with no mention of keeping your guard up or how you should be throwing a punch. So I junked it and looked up my old instructor..........

Mo.

Last edited by mazzybear on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had peaks and lulls over the years, often it was related to the activity level of club I was training with, sometimes it was changes in priorities in my own life.

The first time I slacked off was after college, getting established in career and the rest of life. Coming back to it a couple of years later wasn't too bad at a local club that didn't train too hard. But then I stepped it up, to advance in dan rank. Then I got more into non-traditional training, and it was certainly rougher. Eventually I lost interest and the clubs folded or moved.
I've always kept my own solo training going, though not very consistently, just for fitness and flexibility.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazzybear wrote:
Although every now and again the thought of "where would I be now if I'd never left?" sometimes crosses my mind

Give or take a little bit, I know exactly where I'd be if I never left. The guy I tested for shodan with and would've tested for nidan with if I didn't go away to grad school was promoted to godan last year. We came up through the ranks together, with him starting about a month before I did. He never left.

I'd most likely be at the same rank if I never left. No regrets though. Life happened, and in a good way. I wouldn't change anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: