Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateNewbie
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Go No Sen/ Sen No Sen/ Tai Sabaki Reply with quote

There's so many conflicting stuff on the net about this, I'm just looking for the definitive answer so I'm not learning it wrong! My understanding is that Sen no sen is early advantage so it's counter-attacking in the millisecond after your attacker begins to strike (not bothering to block but using speed as your advantage. Go No sen is delayed (after) advantage, and to be is blocking (receiving and deflecting your attackers power (using his power against him so to speak) and striking back. Tai Sabaki is pivoting to the side, blocking and striking e.g. Ippon kumite- jodan no 3. Am I on the right track? If so, does Tai Sabaki come under the heading of Go No SEN or is it a completely seperate heading ? I understand there's a lot more to these concepts than the above but in terms of an opening statement to explain them, am I on the right track?

GojuRyu Bahrain
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shotokan, Kobudo, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

I guess the definitions really depend on your system. Karate, Aikido and Kendo use these terms somewhat differently. With respect to Karate, as far as I know, you are on the right track:
Sen-no-sen, Go-no-sen (and Tai-no-sen) are about timing. Sen-no-sen is to attack into the attack, and Go-no-sen is to counter-attack after dealing (through block or dodging) with the initial attack.

Tai-Sabaki refers to body management, i.e., moving & rotating the body out of danger and into an advantageous position. Consequently, one would use Tai Sabaki to get into a good position for counter-attacking with Go-no-sen timing.

Additionally, you might encounter Tai-no-sen (meaning to counter at the same time as the attack), this requires Tai-Sabaki for sure, and Ashi Sabaki (meaning foot management, or how to step).

Hope this helps.

GojuRyu Bahrain
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shotokan, Kobudo, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention Sen-sen-no-sen which refers to preemptive strikes.

KarateNewbie
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GojuRyu Bahrain wrote:
Hi and welcome!

I guess the definitions really depend on your system. Karate, Aikido and Kendo use these terms somewhat differently. With respect to Karate, as far as I know, you are on the right track:
Sen-no-sen, Go-no-sen (and Tai-no-sen) are about timing. Sen-no-sen is to attack into the attack, and Go-no-sen is to counter-attack after dealing (through block or dodging) with the initial attack.

Tai-Sabaki refers to body management, i.e., moving & rotating the body out of danger and into an advantageous position. Consequently, one would use Tai Sabaki to get into a good position for counter-attacking with Go-no-sen timing.

Additionally, you might encounter Tai-no-sen (meaning to counter at the same time as the attack), this requires Tai-Sabaki for sure, and Ashi Sabaki (meaning foot management, or how to step).

Hope this helps.

Solid post!!

This is what we do in Shindokan, with a very strong emphasis on Go-No-Sen...receiving/deflecting your attackers power against him. As far as Tai-Sabaki, the way we do it in Shindokan, it is separate. Which I still get a tickle because everything we use either works together and/or at different times and/or in a domino way. But of course, it all makes perfect sense, whereas way before, I was going..."Huh?? What?? Really??" Time slowly erases confusion!!

KarateNewbie
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - it's so much clearer in my head now

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateNewbie wrote:
Thanks guys - it's so much clearer in my head now

Glad to have helped; anytime!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: