Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

vergil96
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Shotokan, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Goals Reply with quote

So I'm not approaching an exam right now. But there is a perspective I want to share. When I was beginning my journey with karate, first, I didn't know I will stick with it at all. Then I hoped for a blue belt at most, brown belts seemed so advanced that I will never reach this level and won't continue training for so many years. This winter I'm finally approaching the blue belt exam. Recently, I see that I have the determination to train for 5 years or more or even for decades, karate has become such an important outlet and a passion for me. I hope for a brown belt now in these next couple of years.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes our reasons for training change, especially if you start karate at a young age.

when looking at higher grades, it can be quite daunting to think you might have to do what they are doing one day, but when you start working through the grades, you get a little bit closer every time and suddenly it doesn't seem like a massive jump.

with passion and determination you will be surprised just how much you can achieve!

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that sometimes motivation comes in waves. You will have months were the only thing you can think of is the next time that you're going to be in the dojo and then maybe some months that if will feel like a slog. It's just like anything we love to do, sometimes it waxes and wans. The important thing to do is remember this feeling. Remember what it is like to be head over heels so that when you feel cooler on it you know that you will shortly fall back in love.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Zaine. I've had highs and lows in the dojang. Right now, things are kind of a slog. But, I'm staying steady with it, and I always feel good after a class.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goals!?!?

Stepping on the floor to train/learn one day at a time. Once on the floor, then train hard and train well each and every time with a serious tone and mindset. Without this one goal being foremost, then nothing else can be achieved effectively.

Proof is on the floor.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people go through this. At the early stages you are just focused on getting through to the next belt and blackbelt seems a long way off. After some time though you shift to enjoying training for trainings sake and set other goals than getting to the next belt.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
I think most people go through this. At the early stages you are just focused on getting through to the next belt and blackbelt seems a long way off. After some time though you shift to enjoying training for trainings sake and set other goals than getting to the next belt.
Ironically enough, once martial artists get to the point where the focus shifts to learning for the sake of learning they find that the belts come much easier and faster. Focusing on being the best learner you can be often means that you're proficiency becomes greater than if you were trying to just jam the information in to meet the testing requirements.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

vergil96
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Karate Shotokan, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ironically enough, once martial artists get to the point where the focus shifts to learning for the sake of learning they find that the belts come much easier and faster. Focusing on being the best learner you can be often means that you're proficiency becomes greater than if you were trying to just jam the information in to meet the testing requirements.

Exactly.

Although I can't say it was a fast progression. For such a long time I made no progress at all in terms of grades. I mean, I still learnt a lot in classes and had to work hard on my fitness, unlike people who are definitely more gifted in terms of not getting tired during trainings. I pushed through it just because I enjoyed the trainings, no matter how bad I was. Maybe now it's getting a little faster?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:

To add to the bold type above....

Belts/rank no longer become important. As Mr. Han from Enter The Dragon spoke so candidly...

"We are unique, in that we create ourselves. Through long years of rigorous training, sacrifice, denial, pain, we forge our bodies, in the fire of our will."

Rank/belts don't survive in the fire of our will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: