Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Going for an "interview" tomorrow to try BJJ? Reply with quote

Since with my new work schedule I can only get to one of my karate classes a week, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try something new (in addition to continuing with my one karate class a week).

I called the local BJJ school. They're a very commercial school (bordering on McDojo for their karate program, but their BJJ program seems legit). They have great reviews and are the only BJJ class around here I can make it to. They also offer a women only class, which appeals to me.

They want me to come in tomorrow evening for "an interview". This is my first experience with a commercial school (everything I've done so far has been through rec centers and youth centers). What should I expect at this interview? Will they try to use high pressure sales tactics on me? I know I'm more informed than your average person who knows nothing about martial arts, but I hate high pressure situations.

Any advice from those who run a commercial school or the BJJ guys/gals on what to look for or what questions to ask?

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be talking to you about your goals. Most "commercial" schools are interested in making sure they are the right fit for you and visa versa. They will probably ask you to join. But most will not have "high pressure sales."

I think if you go in with an open mind, you'll be absolutely shocked at the quality of service and the way a professional full time school takes care of their members when compared to a club.

Just go in, have fun and join if you like it. If you don't like it, don't join.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like ps1 said they will speak with you about goals, what to expect, expectations of students and instructors, get to know you before training.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of being brought in for an interview like this before. At our place, people usually just come in and get signed up (but we're not BJJ).

Like the others mention, just go in with an open mind and see what they have to say. Let us know what you decide.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course...watch more than one class to get a feel of everything. I'd do the observations first before I even did a trial class because discoveries on the floor might not be enjoyable, and once on the floor, not many can just walk off the floor in front of a crowd.

I, too, have never heard of an interview as described, but as Brian already mentioned, I'm not of BJJ.

Good luck!!

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the meeting. It was very short (about 15 minutes).

I filled out a form with what I was interested in, my martial arts experience, what I hope to get out of it, etc. We talked for a little about that and about what I did for a living, what my goals were, etc.

Then she showed me the schedule and the pricing options (it's a year contract and the more you put down, the cheaper it is per month).

After that we took a tour of the school. Lots of people there-- there were two kids' karate classes going on in the two front rooms and the BJJ room was in the back. A mixed fundamentals class was going on with white and blue belts taught by a black belt instructor. There were six people in the class (I know there are more in the program, however, as I've seen pictures on their facebook page with tons of people).

She invited me to attend two trial classes next week-- the women's class and the mixed fundamentals class-- and said I can make a decision after that.

Overall I got a very good feeling about it, though still a bit of sticker shock after seeing the prices. I can afford it, however, if it's something I think I'm going to stick with for a year. I guess I'll decide after the trial classes next week.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal. I think as a rule BJJ classes tend to run high in price, but, if you can demand the price, it tends to run that way.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that sounds great; right what you're looking for. Nothing ventured...nothing gained. If it'll meet all of your needs, then, why not attend, at least the trial lessons. Nothing better to get a feeling by being on the floor with other students and the CI.

Please keep us up to date...now...have fun and train hard!!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
Just got back from the meeting. It was very short (about 15 minutes).

I filled out a form with what I was interested in, my martial arts experience, what I hope to get out of it, etc. We talked for a little about that and about what I did for a living, what my goals were, etc.

Then she showed me the schedule and the pricing options (it's a year contract and the more you put down, the cheaper it is per month).

After that we took a tour of the school. Lots of people there-- there were two kids' karate classes going on in the two front rooms and the BJJ room was in the back. A mixed fundamentals class was going on with white and blue belts taught by a black belt instructor. There were six people in the class (I know there are more in the program, however, as I've seen pictures on their facebook page with tons of people).

She invited me to attend two trial classes next week-- the women's class and the mixed fundamentals class-- and said I can make a decision after that.

Overall I got a very good feeling about it, though still a bit of sticker shock after seeing the prices. I can afford it, however, if it's something I think I'm going to stick with for a year. I guess I'll decide after the trial classes next week.

Sounds like a good deal. Pretty much any reputable place will let you trial things first to make sure that everything is a fit. Keep us posted as you trial it and if you join!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: