Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shotokannon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Shotokan, Traditional Jujutsu

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Going from Shotokan to Kickboxing Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I realise I've posted this before, but I didn't get an answer so I thought I'd post it again in a more appropriate place.

I've been doing Shotokan now for about 10 months, and I'm thinking of switching to Kickboxing, I just wanted to get some general opinions and information about this.

1. If you get a license at a karate club, would you need another one for Kickboxing?

2.I'm very apprehensive about leaving my current club;I like the people and I've been told I'm doing very well (being put forward for the EKF Kyu-grade national championships next year) and I really don't want to let my Sensei down.

3. having said the above, I really do feel like Kickboxing will give me the experience I want with regards to more sparring based than patterns/Kata based work.

4. How would I approach my Sensei about this, if I were to go through with it?

5. Would it be wise to continue both at the same time? this way if I don't like kickboxing I can go back to Karate and if I prefer Kickboxing, I can take that up instead!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You can train in both or just kickboxing. Besides 'licences' are given when you sign up.

2. It is one thing to feel like you might let your sensei down. But is it more than just that?

3. Does your current school not do enough kumite/sparring? Just take into account Kumite is not the only thing that is important in class.

4. It depends on the instructor. Because i feel like some instructors aren't too positive about people training in 2 arts at once. But others are very positive for people to do it.

5. Cross-Training can be very beneficial. Why do you feel like you have to choose only 1 to continue in one?

Think about this; kickboxing may be interesting and fun but in many cases people are unable to take it up long term due to all the injuries and strain on the body from the training. Although a lot of people can train long term (several years >10 years). In comparison to Karate where it is a long term art because it has a balance of high contact and low contact.

I have trained in Karate and BJJ at the same time and benefited me greatly when doing both. Even though I am not training in BJJ as much currently, i would still cross-train and not choose one or the other.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Going from Shotokan to Kickboxing Reply with quote

Shotokannon wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I realise I've posted this before, but I didn't get an answer so I thought I'd post it again in a more appropriate place.

I've been doing Shotokan now for about 10 months, and I'm thinking of switching to Kickboxing, I just wanted to get some general opinions and information about this.

1. If you get a license at a karate club, would you need another one for Kickboxing?

What do you mean getting a license? I am not sure I follow

2.I'm very apprehensive about leaving my current club;I like the people and I've been told I'm doing very well (being put forward for the EKF Kyu-grade national championships next year) and I really don't want to let my Sensei down.

Why do you want to leave then? If you enjoy it, you might as well stay there

3. having said the above, I really do feel like Kickboxing will give me the experience I want with regards to more sparring based than patterns/Kata based work.

Ah yes, I get it now. Perhaps you can talk to your sensei? Let him know you want to have more of a sparring experience, he might as well spar with you more or invite you to a different program or something. I mean your standard class will be the same, that won't change, but some schools have extra classes that focus on some aspects (e.g. creative/weapons kata, sparring, self defense, etc).

4. How would I approach my Sensei about this, if I were to go through with it?

First think through if you want to go with it. If you do, just tell him you want to talk to him and do it (see my response to # 3). Tell him you enjoy the classes a lot, you love his art and how he teaches it, etc, and you also happen to want a bit more sparring and you're wondering if there's a sparring program or something at his school too.

5. Would it be wise to continue both at the same time? this way if I don't like kickboxing I can go back to Karate and if I prefer Kickboxing, I can take that up instead!

Why not? I had a brief stint with kickboxing and I transitioned to it from karate myself. The handwork did not translate at all (kickboxing used boxing style punches and a lot of real impact in heavy bags and the like, while karate had tsuki-style punches and then a lot of different punches that are quite different from a boxing punch) but the kicks transitioned really well), it can be done. If you end loving either art more, you can always make a move.

See bold

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I transitioned from Kyokushin to Kickboxing and Muay Thai a while back, but quickly found myself going back to karate.

Kickboxing is great. You will learn things there about meeting brute head of force that most karate styles will never teach you. However, thats where it ends. There is only an iota of "Art" compared to karate.

When you get to some of the advanced bunkai, Karate is a well rounded art form.

EDIT - on the topic of one instructor not liking you potentially training in another style. I can understand that at beginners grades, however, for students who are familiar with the art, I think that it would be remiss for any instructor to not support branching out and learning other skills. Just make sure you have a solid understanding of one art first.

Its like taking a lesson in bungee jumping and then trying to skydive, thinking that you have all the knowledge you need in bungee. It just does not work like that for any knowledge set.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Shotokan then incorporated kickboxing into my training.

1. The licence that you get from your Shotokan association is a combination of your yearly membership to that association and your insurance. So yes, you will have to get another one for your kickboxing training/association, as you may/will not be covered by your insurance if anything happens. For the first couple of lessons, you may be covered under the new associations insurance policy (but this is dependant on their policy).

2. Do both then, cross train

3. I would recommend that if you can, train in both, as both will help you. Kata/forms while at your level, may not seem to be "exciting" (especially when it comes to sparring), it does cover stuff like locks, throws and self defence techniques.

4. As for approaching your sensei, just be honest with him/her. But

5. Training in both isn't for everyone but it can be rewarding, I've done it in the past and I know others that do it. However it will take it's toll if you are not prepared for the work.

Good luck

Kanku65
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my sensei trained in shotokan until brown belt and then left and began kickboxing.

His kickboxing record was modestly put, impressive. Later he continued his karate training after realizing that kickboxing is not as lifelong as karate training.

Try kickboxing and see how it suits you and your lifestyle.
The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?
- Master Funakoshi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: