Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Going to Okinawa!!!! Reply with quote

My son and I are going to Okinawa in April for 10 days!!!! Can't wait for the chance to visit all of the places, see the sights, and experience the culture 1st hand.

Just wanted to put that out there!!!

Also, any hints, tips, warnings etc; are welcome from all who have been before.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be great trip, Best of luck & have a safe one

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, make sure you get the proper vaccines before you go

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Have fun.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure it is possible in your case or what hoops you might have to go through but it might be nice to train for a day as part of your trip in an Okinawan Dojo. I am new to MA and have decided that when I travel, which is rare, I would try to train in a local dojo at least once. In October I had the chance to go to NYC and took an intro class at Renzo Gracie's BJJ Academy. I chose them because it was something not really available locally to me, and I thought it would be fun. This summer during any non-local internships I may get, I will try to train at least once in something new. When my daughter is old enough to accompany I will try to find something for her to try that is not her normal thing to do, whether it is MA related or not.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visit the Dojo Bar; it's a fantastic place...worth the visit, imho!!

If you're wanting to train at an Okinawa dojo, you'll need a sponsor FIRST!! You just can't walk in unannounced. You'll want to call/write to Okinawa Traditional Karate Liaison Bureau before you sojourn to Okinawa, especially if you're intent is to train in an Okinawa dojo. There's usually a fee to train at these dojo's in Okinawa, usually $100-$300 PER DAY!!

No, “OSS!” It's not used in Okinawa, and it's uncalled for. To do that is the quickest way to be shown the door. It's rude to do so because it speaks that you don't understand Okinawan etiquette.

As far as touring Okinawa, and it's only abut 66 miles long, and maybe 5 miles wide, and while most of the time whenever we visited Okinawa, we had two of the greatest tour guides we could ever ask for...Soke and Dai-Soke. Their intimate and personal touch was breathtaking, which is of no surprise because they both were born and raised and trained in Okinawa. So, in that, we saw places in Okinawa that most others will not see!!

So, when we weren't being shown around in Okinawa by Soke and Dai-Soke, we WANDERED around, and we visited places that caught our fancy. Wander around, mind your etiquette, and TRAVEL IN GROUPS!!

Also, don't be offended if you see "Japanese ONLY" signs!! First, do not go in there for any reason!! The Okinawan's just want places of their own without having to be on display for the tourists!! Secondly, well, just don't enter wherever you're not wanted!!

Learn basic Japanese like, "Hello" and "Thank you", as well as how to count to '10', and whatever you do, after you've learned a few key phrases, do not shorten these phrases, say the entire phrase, otherwise, you'll run the risk of insulting the person(s) that you're addressing. We, American's love short-cuts, and we use it in our language all of the time, and that's fine here in America, but in Okinawa, that's just pure rude, and unacceptable.

If you're just going to visit Okinawa, and NOT train in karate in Okinawa, then by all means, enjoy the sights and sounds that are of their own. In any how, it might be a good idea, I never had one, to buy a travel book that covers Okinawa from a book store...never hurts to be prepared in anyway possible

Have fun, be safe in your travels!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Okinawans who try to give you advice or tell you about their country. If you do not know what is expected, ask them. Okinawans are usually happy to help those with genuine interest.

Also recommend a visit to the Shureido karate equipment store in Naha. Even if you do no buy anything right away it is one of the best places to ask about advice for anything karate-related. The shop is known and frequented by every karate instructor on the island. Many often stop by for a chat with the staff. The staff speak and understand basic English and may help you.

This website is also very very helpful: http://okkb.org/

RJCKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashiryu Karatedo Kobujutsu, Yamaneryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@strangepair03

I'll be in Okinawa for the second half of April. If you want to catch up, just inbox me.
1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJCKarate, I definitely will. Thanks!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Have good trip, and enjoy the sights!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: