Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think skipping lower ranks is okay for someone who has had previous training and holds a dan rank in their system, and understands the basis well. For those who hold perhaps a higher kyu rank, then I say moving them along quicker if they can show that they have the basics down, and that they meet the criteria for the new system.

renketsu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that as some people learn more quickly than others and some are more physically adept than others, picking up the basics far more quickly than others, they should be allowed to try to double grade.

I have recommended to our grading panel that a couple of my own students are allowed to try double grading over the years - but only when I consider their progress sufficient for them to grade well and more importantly they are then able to continue at that grade with no problems or set backs.

Personally speaking, I went from 10th - 8th kyu in Shotokan Karate and from 9th kyu to 7th kup in WTF TKD, so I guess I am biased!

Andy.

glingglo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm kind of wondering why he knows enough to test for his yellow belt in the first place. if the instructor felt that he had already learned his white belt w/ stripe stuff well enough to begin teaching him his yellow belt techniques, why did the instructor not test him at that point? if he meets the requirements for testing and has attended enough classes, i kind of think he should be allowed to test for his yellow. it sounds to me like the instructor just might not want to lose out on any testing fees, or that the school doesn't offer gradings frequently enough to keep up with how its students are advancing.

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about skipping belts.

On one hand, I don't think it should happen. After all, if you're planning on taking up a martial art then it should be something you should want to do for life. It shouldn't bother you how long you stay at one belt if you're planning on staying with it for as long as your body will let you. So in that respect, I think a bit of patience doesn't go amiss. Yeah, Ok, this guy might find the first few belt tests easy, but its hardly going to do him any harm sitting them and getting that extra experience.

Still, admittedly some people do progress faster than others, and they might feel they're being held back.

If I was forced to give my opinion, though, I'd probably have to say that I don't think this guy should skip a belt. After all, in something like martial arts, its up to the individual to push themselves to the best of their ability, and get the most out of lessons, and he'll still be able to do this regardless of which belt he's at. He should maybe become less concerned with coloured strips of material, and more concerned with the actual training.

*re-reads post*

Ok, that last sentence sounded a bit too harsh. lol.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Going too fast in belts Reply with quote

[quote="Pepparoo

I've started doing Kuk Sool Won, done it for 3 odd months now n I feel ive taken to it fairly well. When I took my White belt/yellow stripe I was ready to do my Yellow belt but it would be pretty arrogant to do that. I think its much better to perfect what you already know, n become inch perfect in the forms/techniques whatever's being leant. Just out of interest, in TKD are there armlock techniques as they are in KSW or is it all just kicks n forms?[/quote]

You'll find that the more tests you take in KSW (or any style for that matter) the better you will perform. Especially when you get up into blue and red belt, the techniques you will have to remember is not something you want to rush into and find you've forgotten during the test. All those tests between belt colors are extra practice, not just for remembering the material, but also for getting used to testing itself. Not being nervous helps recalling all those techniques you need to perform.

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipping from white to yellow is OK as yellow stripe isn't a full grade (im using my own styles guidelines here if the TKD system is different then you can probably ignore this post:)). Skipping orange tip is OK too but from orange up to blue - no thats a full grade and in this case skipping shouldn't be neccassary if they are ready for blue now they should have already have graded to green etc:

LordBucket
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Primarily Wushu and Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people skip ranks on quite a few occassions, and personally I see nothing wrong with it provided that the skill level is there.

In addition to people who have had previous experience in another style, I've also seen it happen that a first time martial artist just happens to be unavailable for a test because of work conflicts. If someone has been training for six months, and tests are only held every three months, I think it's completely reasonable for them to test two ranks. I've also known a couple people who simply don't want to get involved with the ego involved with rank tests, and end up not taking tests for a few years. Then, everntually they realize that they know enough, and can perform material that would qualify them for brown belt or so, so they decide that they want to start testing. I did that myself at one studio...I refused to test for the first year simply because I didn't want to get involved in the silly ego games that some people play, and then eventually changed my mind and tested three or four levels.

Also, I've on several occassions seen the exact opposite problem occur: A student who is obviously more skilled than people twice his rank. It happens because he misses tests, or had previous experience, or is one of those dedicated peope who makes time to attend six classes a week instead of two. Often a combination of the three. The fact of the rank is one thing, but it is discouraging for a person in this situation to see people receive respect and attention he doesn't even thoough he is much more talented. Also, many studios have policies on not teaching material based on ability, but based on rank. Surely you've seen this: 'No, you can't learn that kata yet, you're nto a brown belt.' and 'No, you can't test for brown belt even though you know everything up to that point and can perform it well, there's a fixed six months between tests, and no rank slipping, no matter what.' This is certain death and boredom to an extremely talented student. They aren't learning anything new, and usually end up leaving the school.

Bucket Man

username237
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i only think someone should be skipped in belts if the person already knows another similar martial art and came from a different school. a new martial artist should have to wait out the whole belt system.

i started taekwondo a couple of months back with my mum. Before this we did shotokan karate for 12 years. I got to my second dan, my mum got to her 1st dan. We took our first taekwondo grading today and noticed that our grading seemed to be a lot harder that the last lot of white belts. When it came to finding out our results I was pretty confident that we would get our yellow tag. Instead it turns out that i have been awarded my green belt and my mum was awarded a yellow belt. What a shock to the system but we've both taken to the sport very quickly and know most of the basics from doing karate for so long.

So I cant see a problem with double grading, as long as people genuinly have the ability to perform as the grade they are going for!

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congradulations

But I do wonder if that may p**s other people off?

I stand by what I said earlier but I suppose if you got to 2nd dan its a bit different..

username237
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im almost certain there will be someone that wont like it.

But I believe that i've earned that grade and will prove it to them.

Then they will have nothing to moan about
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: