Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slight side track but how did you find your skills from shotokan adapted to TKD?

username237
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was a competition fighter and was good with my legs. As soon as i started TKD I noticed that there was a lot more use of legs than fists which suited me fine. Theres a lot more spinning kicks and jumps but i seem to be picking this up ok. I was also quite good at picking up katas very quickly and learning the patterns is almost the same.

Most of the blocks, kicks and hand techniques are very similar too. TKD does seem to be more laid back compared to karate so i just need to learn to stop being so stiff when i move! I think thats about it really!

battousai16
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Hwa Rang Do, Omulu Capoeira

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Then they will have nothing to moan about"
that depends on how you prove it to 'em

theSaj
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Fu San Soo, Krav Maga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say, if he can do so and has the ability to earn it (including physically, mentally, and humility) then he should be allowed to do so...

a) it saves him the money of an extra belt for but a stripe....

b) i am someone who skipped a grade. in truth, I once had an opportunity to work at my own pace for a year at an special school. I advanced anywhere from 2-4 yrs in that one year academically. sadly, most of my time in school was spent meeting the needs of the lowest common denominator.

The truth, I could have easily been way farther then where I was. In fact, there was no reason I couldn't have earned a BA by the age of 18...other than I was held back. Not for any reasons of my own...but for others.

If you want to hold everyone back to the lowest common denominator - then do so. But if this individual has placed more of his life's focus on the physical areas that benefit such an art then credit him for it...

But make sure he's challenged....frankly, if he excels so...make the Yellow test just a bit toughter...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: