Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Golden Anniversary!! Reply with quote

Today, October 18, 2014, marks my Golden Anniversary in Shindokan Saitou-ryu; 50 years on the floor. My flame hasn't dimmed the slightest; it burns as bright as ever, even more so!!

Today's also my 57th birthday.

My martial art journey over these past 50 years have had its many bumps and dips along the road, but for the most part, it's been smooth; uneventful, to say the least.

I've shared the floor with many within the Shindokan circle, but my martial art journey wouldn't be complete without acknowledging wholeheartedly those martial artists that are outside of the Shindokan circle. To all, I thank you with all of my heart and soul; your bright lights have helped me over these many wonderful years in sustaining my own flame.

I thank you, one and all!!

50 YEAR TIMELINE

1950|Shindokan Saitou-ryu; founded by Fuyuhiko Saitou, Soke, Judan
1956|Soke, and his student, Yoshinobu Takahashi, Godan, move to the USA from Nanjo, Okinawa
1957|Shindokan Hombu established in Canoga Park, CA
*Soke forms Shindokan’s governing body; Shindokan Karate and Kobudo Association (SKKA)
*Yoshinobu Takahashi Sensei is selected by Soke to be Kaicho[President] of the Shindokan Hombu
*I was born in October to Rita Mitcham (Russie) and Dan Mitcham in FT. Worth, TX; All Saints Hospital, I’m the youngest of three; my brother, Donald (1951), and my sister, Ruth (1954)
1958|My family moved to the San Fernando Valley in CA; Van Nuys
1964|Enrolled in Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do in Canoga Park, CA; Shindokan Hombu
1967|Began Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo training at 6th Kyu [Green Belt]
1970|Earned Junior Black Belt; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
1971|The Weekend Warriors formed by Greg Forsythe, Ben Stevenson, Iwao Takahashi, Giichi Tanaka, Yoshikazu Tanaka, and myself, as Junior Black Belts, travelling throughout CA to compete in any and all open tournaments; we dominated the under 18 year old divisions; sponsored by our parents.
1974|Enrolled in Chang Moo Kwan/Kang Duk Won Tae Kwon Do, Burbank, CA under GM Young Ik Suh
1975|Earned Shodan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
*Left formal training in Chang Moo Kwan/Kang Duk Won Tae Kwon Do; earned 6th Gup [Green Belt] under GM Young Ik Suh
*Began teaching Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do at the Los Angeles Valley College (LAVC) in Valley Glen, CA 1975-1977
1976|Earned G.E.D. from La Puente Adult School in La Puente, CA
*Los Angeles Valley College, 1976-1977, General Requirements
*Earned Nidan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
*Weekend Warriors ends; too many personal scheduling conflictions
1977|Earned Sandan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
*Left teaching at LAVC in order to open my first dojo
*Opened my first dojo; Kyuodan Dojo in Van Nuys, CA (1977 – 1994)
*Earned Shodan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo
1978|Earned Nidan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo
1980|Earned Yondan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
*Earned Sandan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo
1983|Earned Yondan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo
1984|Earned Godan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
1987|Earned Godan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo
1988|Earned Rokudan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
1989|Elected into our Hombu’s Hierarchy; Counsel of Regents
1993|Earned Rokudan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo
1994|Awarded Renshi (SKKA)
*Retired from active competitions shortly after having garnished 4 Grand Championships, as well as a 2nd place in the Masters Division in Kumite at the Bakersfield All-Open Karate Tournament.
*Moved to Dallas, TX to care for my mom
*Established 2nd Kyuodan Dojo in Dallas, TX (1994-2000)
1995|Earned Nanadan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
1996|My mom passes away; she was 63 years old
1997|Awarded Kyoshi (SKKA)
2000|Earned Hachidan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
*Moved to Tulsa, OK
*Established 3rd Kyuodan Dojo (2000-Current)
2002|Earned Nanadan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo
2003|Awarded Hanshi (SKKA)
2007|Soke retires; elected to Kaiso [Advisor]
2008|Kaicho Takahashi Sensei is elected the new Dai-Soke of the Shindokan Hombu
*Soke passes away of natural causes; he was 91 years old
*I’m elected Kaicho and Chief Instructor of the Shindokan Hombu
2009|Earned Hachidan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Kobudo
2010|Dai-Soke passes away after suffering two separate strokes that year; he was 78 years old
*I retire from being the Kaicho and Chief Instructor of the Shindokan Hombu; promoted to Kaiso [Advisor]
*Iwao Takahashi, eldest son of Dai-Soke, is elected to San Dai-Soke, promoted to Judan
*San Dai-Soke closes the Hombu and attempts to moves it to Nanjo, Okinawa
*Established NEW Shindokan Hombu; new charter, proxy, and the like approved
*San Dai-Soke stripped of his authority and given a lifetime expulsion via a referendum by the new Hombu
2011|Re-elected as Kaicho; stepped down from Kaiso appointment
2012|Counsel of Regents renamed to Board of Regents; reorganized, from 12 elected officers to 5 elected officers
2013|Earned Kudan; Shindokan Saitou-ryu Karate-do
*Premier GM Young Ik Suh passes away in October; he was once a Korean Presidential Body Guard
2014|I celebrate my Martial Art Golden Anniversary, 50 years, in Shindokan Saitou-ryu

**Italic type denotes Shindokan events**

50 years! Although it's been a long time in the making, it seems as though it was just yesterday when I first walked onto the floor, and in retrospect, I took my first step on my martial art journey as well. Memories aren't all I have left, and while some have faded away, many a great number of them remain brightly vivid in my mind.

In my life, as well as in my martial art life, I've often openly wept over the many empty chairs that stand before me; this is to be expected in ones lifetime, but that doesn't ease the grief that I oftentimes feel each and everyday of my life.

One day, I too, will leave my own empty chair behind, but until then, I will remain steadfastly true on my martial arts journey. And when I leave my chair for the last time, I will fondly remember all who have made my martial arts journey complete. Yet, I will be saddened to know that there will be no more tomorrows with all of you....my friends...my martial art family...and of course, my love for you all will never die.

While I'm proud, I humbly look over these past 50 years with a smile, and a gladness that while I was on the floor, I gave it my all every second without any regrets and/or reservations.

I've no idea when I will shrug off this mortal coil, only God knows that, but I know that my time isn't far away, and God willing, I've another 20-30 years on the floor. Somewhere and somehow, our paths will cross; in that, we'll embrace one another not as strangers, but as family!!

I love you, one and all...thank you, one and all!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:26 pm; edited 6 times in total

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done on reaching this milestone.

Prior to his death, at the age 89 - Otsuka sensei is noted to say that he just about figured out Junzuki!!!

There is only training... and the journey is never over...

AdamKralic
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!!! 50 years!!!!

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's a great achievement, 50 years in martial arts. One thing that strikes me is the speed of progression through the Dan grades, Nidan to Sandan in a year, that's very impressive. The grading system is obviously different to our system of Aikido. My Sensei has studied Aikido for 40 years, ten of these in Japan, with Judo and Shotokan Karate but he only holds a 3rd Dan.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Bob! 50 years in the martial arts is a rare, impressive milestone. 50 years in the same art is astonishing. Thank you for sharing your experience, passion and continued development with us here.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Bob! Amazing achievement.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.. Do you have any personal highlights that stand out?

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Sensei8! I couldn't help but look over the historic time line of your journey and then look at my own in comparison. You earned your Rokudan the year I started training, were awarded Kyoshi(!) just after I earned my shodan. It gives one perspective when looking at a long and fruitful career in the martial arts.

Here is to seeing you around for twenty more years and we can chat via the karateforums holo-room at that point!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You earned your Rokudan the year I was born!

My Sensei's Sensei will actually be celebrating 50 years in the Shorinkan sometime in the next few years, I believe.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to you good sir! You've always been full of GREAT advice, I had no idea you had such an extensive martial arts history. Most impressed! keep it up!

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats mate

You earned your Nidan the year I was born
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: